MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Dan_42
veteran

Reged: 08/27/04
Loc: Shenzhen, China
My Palm Vx won't last forever...
      #14830 - 08/27/04 07:22 AM

Warning - long post ahead from a frequently lurking but now newly registered member...

While my Palm Vx has been a very solid and reliable PDA and is still performing well, I know that its days are limited...the Li-Ion battery won't last forever and I'm finding a need to start using more memory intensive applications - the 8 Megs of RAM are almost full and I've already deleted all the extraneous stuff in there.

I got a real bargain on my Palm Vx; it was $150 on clearance at a Best Buy Christmas sale at the end of 2001. Can't really afford to go all out on a brand new top-of the line pda. (and with a high prevalence of pickpockets where I live, it doesn't really make sense)...

So, what exactly to do?

As others have noted, the track record of recent PalmOne products has been sketchy - seeing as I live in China and will probably pick up a new PDA on my next trip home to the US (it seems US PDA prices beat Hong Kong pricing), long-term reliablity and stability are key factors. I'd prefer to keep things simple and expenditures low (under or around $300), but given my requirements for software and hardware, it just gets kind of murky and all works out to cost the same...

Pocket PC's are an option, but seeing as handling office documents on a Palm device actually works better, I see little that convinces me to switch over (but the out of the box seamless Outlook syncing capablities is a good start). Also, I have an existing Chinese dictionary app on the Palm that I use often and would like to still use (however, the footprint is 4777 kb or so on a full install - that's A LOT for a Vx)...

I think the Zire 31 might actually be a pretty good bet for me, as it has a fast processor, expandable memory, and low cost. Mini-USB syncing is fine with me; and I don't often use wireless or even have a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone (which might change in the future). I am considering purchasing some extra software to augment my current Palm and then move it over; probably Mini-Calc and perhaps Doublelook for my desktop (it works great for Outlook syncing).

While this is a cost-effective hardware arrangement, the software costs would end up adding on an extra $95!!!! (at which point I'm almost able to afford a PDA with a lot more features, better screen, and a lot of software with nearly identical functionality bundled with it...)

I'd prefer to get a Bluetooth-enabled device (seems like something that everyone will be using more of in the next few years) - but the price point nearly doubles on most PDA's to have that feature! If wi-fi was included as well, it would be great (like on the Dell Axim X30), but it's hardly necessary...

The Tungsten T3 seems pretty solid, especially since it has Bluetooth and a really big screen, which could be very useful when dealing with spreadsheets. The integrated software bundle seems top-notch as well. However, I would guess that its replacement is due in the very near future - hopefully there will soon be a price drop! Palmone still is asking $400 for it on its website...given that it's nearly a year old, paying full price for that doesn't make sense to me. Amazon.com is offering a better price + rebate, but it still feels like a lot of money.

The Zire 72 also seems like it would be a pretty solid choice, except that the build quality seems to be lacking (flaky paint + buzzing noises seem like bad news).

The Tapwave Zodiac seems like a contender too, except that I'm not sure about what office documents are included and that the pricing seems stuck at $400.

So, what should I do?

I have temporary functionality with trial spreadsheet software on my Palm Vx, but that's only good for 2 weeks. I'd hate to spend $40 for a full version when I might just be better off upgrading to a Palm T3 that will have software bundled with it...

I haven't used any native Palm/Outlook synching - how does the out-of the box software work compared to using something like Doublelook?

Well, there are a lot of questions and no clear answers...any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

- Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GregModerator
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Re: My Palm Vx won't last forever... [Re: Dan_42]
      #14889 - 08/29/04 04:41 AM

The short answer to your post is the Zire 31 would probably work well for you, given the things you said you'd like to use it for. However, the display isn't that great, though it is color.

Since it seems you may keep it for a several years, given the Vx's track record, you might want to buy "up" a bit, so you won't regret your purchase in a year. The T3 is a good investment in that respect, has Office software and Bluetooth. Current rumor is that its replacement may be out in October.

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

BluTeeth

Reged: 09/03/04
Re: My Palm Vx won't last forever... [Re: Dan_42]
      #15095 - 09/03/04 11:41 PM

Hi
How about a Tungsten T? Or a Sony Clie TJ27?
Whatever you purchase get it with a good warranty from a reputed place
good luck!

Dan_42
veteran

Reged: 08/27/04
Loc: Shenzhen, China
Re: My Palm Vx won't last forever... [Re: BluTeeth]
      #15206 - 09/08/04 06:50 AM

Well, thanks for the advice and opinions.

I think I'll wait for another month at least and see how much the T3's price is affected by the introduction of the T5.

My Vx is still holding up pretty well; it's hard to give it a 100% charge, but even so, it still works for 4-5 days of moderate use.

Got a registered copy of Mini-Calc, which works very well...however, it's not very convenient going through a spreadsheet on the relatively small screen...hopefully having a 5-way d-pad could help things a bit...(and the T3's larger screen might be pretty cool too)...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2269

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage