MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Melba633

Reged: 07/08/03
zire 71 digitizer problem
      #15121 - 09/04/04 05:33 PM

My digitizer is messed up on my palm zire 71. If i set it where it is supposed to be(press in the middle of the target) it is messed up and when i hit the top left of the screen, it thinks i pressed about 10 or so pixels above that. the same thing happens for the bottom right of the screen. I thinks that i pressed about ten pixels below the actual point which i pressed. I can compensate by pressin about ten pixels above the center of the top left target and about ten pixels below the center of the bottom right target. If i do compensate though, it messes up my graffiti area. after compensating, it moves the top line of my graffiti area down about ten pixels so i have to compensate for that by writing my letters and numbers lower on the graffiti area. Since i have to write them smaller, it's not as accurate and i mess up a lot. One of the third party applications i have is zlauncher. It used to have a really bad problem with the digitizer but zztechs fixed it. On top of that, the problem is also present in the palm application launcher as well as other programs(ie: datebook, notepad, memopad,etc.).Please, if anyone has any idea about how to fix this, please tell me. thanks for all replies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: zire 71 digitizer problem [Re: Melba633]
      #15139 - 09/05/04 06:55 PM

It sounds like the digitizer may need to be repaired/replaced. If you want to make sure one of your 3rd party apps isn't causing the problem, sync it first to back it up, then do a hard reset. If it still has the problem after the hard reset (before you've restored your backup) then it's a hardware problem and will need to be repaired.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Melba633

Re: zire 71 digitizer problem [Re: LisaG]
      #15144 - 09/06/04 01:38 AM

just curious but what would they do with it? i thought the digitizer was software. I know there is hardware to sense where the screen is being pressed but i figured that it was teh software that needed calibration or something. One more question, do you have any idea how much it would cost to have this done or should i just go ahead and switch to pocket pc instead of using this for another year or so? Thanks for all of your help.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #15156 - 09/06/04 02:22 PM

The digitizer is a piece of hardware: it's part of the LCD assembly and handles touch input.

It's hard to guess how much it would cost to fix. If it's really a problem with the digitizer, Palm would replace the LCD which probably costs $100 or more. If it's simply a bad cable connecting the LCD to the motherboard, it would be cheaper.

Have you tried a hard reset to see if the touch screen works correctly? I'd do that first before considering repair or replacement.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Melba633

Re: zire 71 digitizer problem [Re: LisaG]
      #15199 - 09/07/04 08:13 PM

Yes I have. it still has the same problems, even if i don't put my original applications back on. thanks for your help. I think after a while, i'm just going to get another palm since i don't exactly want to spend half of the price of my palm when i could just spend the same amount to get a better one.

walnut

Reged: 09/18/04
      #15579 - 09/18/04 06:42 PM

hi,

the zire 71 was dumped bcoz it had manufacturing defects. dont waste a single penny on the 71 anymore. just buy another palm/pocket pc. zire 72 has paint peeling problems, tungsten e and c suck, so do the zire, zire 21, 31. t3 is good but costly.

Edited by walnut (09/21/04 11:01 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4423

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage