MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
vp911

Reged: 09/07/04
palm or pocket pc...and which one... college student & doctor
      #15202 - 09/07/04 08:53 PM

I have been reading around the forums, and a few other places and I can't seem to decide which will be best for my needs. I have used both palm and pocket pc PDA's before. I hate learning the characters for the palm...which was the biggest reason i dont like them...

anyways... i basically want the pda for my contacts, my daily homework assignments (and be able to cehck completed or not), appointments, etc.. nothing major... all of them should be able to do that. i have wifi in my house, and at the school, so being able to access the internet would be nice, my phone is bluetooth enabled, im not sure what i could use it for, but just if it will help me in the future... i would prefer one with a keyboard built in...

now the second pda is for my mom... she is not big on tech things, but she wants it for the contacts, appointments, etc... she needs extra memory for programs such as the one available from www.pdr.net... she is a doctor... she does NOT want a keyboard...and wants the easiest to use, without learning the palm langauge...

as far as hers, it would be great if there was a way to add GPS Nav functionality with voice activation..what options are for this? i would like the option to add it to mine also, not a big deal as my car has the nav system already...

color screen is a must for both of course... also, we had a jornada 520 that we always had to do a hard boot on...and would lose all the data stored on it... i would like to avoid that with these new pda's.

thanks for the help

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: palm or pocket pc...and which one... college student & doctor [Re: vp911]
      #15222 - 09/08/04 01:25 PM

All current PDAs with the exception of the Sharp Zaurus C860 Linux PDA will lose all data if you do a hard reset or the battery drains completely . It's best to do a backup of the PDA just in case. Palm PDAs automatically backup to your computer each time you sync, but with Pocket PCs you'll need to tell ActiveSync on the desktop to backup the Pocket PC.

Your mom could make do with many of the PDAs on the market. As long as it has an expansion slot for memory cards to hold her medical references, she'll be set. There are many GPS on the market for all sorts of PDAs, so I'd suggest you take a look at those reviews to see what suits and what they work with. If she gets a PDA with Bluetooth, she can wirelessly connect to a Bluetooth GPS which is very convenient.

If you want a built-in keyboard on yours, the choices are the iPAQ 4350 and Palm Tungsten C at the moment. Both are reviewed on this site. There's also the Sharp Zaurus C860 mentioned above, running Linux, and it's also reviewed on our site.

If you get a Bluetooth enabled PDA, you can use your cell phone as a wireless modem to access the Net anywhere your phone has service.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1690

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage