Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
wschomburg

Reged: 09/08/04
GPS and PDA upgrade needed Have Q's
      #15256 - 09/08/04 10:12 PM

Hello All;
I currently hace a Garmin GPS-V GPS and a Clie SJ33 PDA. The GPS is my first and the Clie is my fourth PDA, all Palm Based. They both need to be replaced for various reasons and am looking at getting a Dell Axim X30 and Dell GPS as the solution. I travel 100% of the time and love my GPS but the memory available for maps is only 19mb, not to mention you have to load them via serial cable The X30 can hold an external SD card and I was thinking of getting a 256Mb card to start off with.

Anyone know On the GPS:

How many maps from the GPS can fit in 256mb?

How long would it take to load 256mb on the X30 via active sync?

Does the GPS support Tracking, trackback, waypoint creation? If so how many waypoints?

Can I create a route manually via waypoints or POI's to get from point A to B or do you have to use the automatic routing only?

Is the POI data selectable for download by type or are they a part of the map set and therefore consumes extra memory.

Does the GPS receiver work if mounted inside a hard saddle bag (motorcycle)?

IS the receiver water resistant?

For the X30 do you know if:

I can play MP3's?
Does the 1800ma battery increase the size of the unit?
Syncing with Outlook 2003 for my contacts and note are pretty much seemless?

thanks for any help you can provide.
-=Bill=-

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: GPS and PDA upgrade needed Have Q's [Re: wschomburg]
      #15350 - 09/11/04 04:28 PM

Map size varies depending on how you cut the maps. If you load the entire states, it will be bigger than you will load the areas you will need. I cover some of the map size related info in the review: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/GPS/Dell_Bluetooth_GPS.htm

It takes a while to down 256MB data. 1/2 hour is my guess.

You can track your trips, create waypoints and use POI or waypoints as your destinations. The POI database somes with the map data and it will use more memory to store the info, but not hugely more.

The receiver works as long as it can see the sky. The more the receive sees the sky the better signals you will get.

I don't believe the Dell receiver is water proof.

About the Dell Axim X30, read more in our review: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/Dell_axim_X30.htm

Yes, it can play MP3. The extended battery adds about 1/4" hump to the battery door. Syncing with Outlook is very easy via ActiveSync.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1905

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage