MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Haku

Reged: 06/18/04
Opinion question for Lisa Gade
      #15940 - 09/30/04 04:29 AM

...but anyone can feel free to reply to this.

I'm trying to decide what kind of PDA I should lean towards. I know there are intrinsic differences between them all, but in your opinion Lisa, especially now that you've had a chance to review the hx4705, what PDA would you choose now and why? Would you still have stayed with the Zaurus and if so why? Or would you have chosen a different one? If so, which one and why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BluTeeth

Reged: 09/03/04
Re: Opinion question for Lisa Gade [Re: Haku]
      #15942 - 09/30/04 05:15 AM

hellowell it's generally hard to pick the perfect PDA because such a thing probably doesnt exist.That said, the pda market now has a lot of good choices.To determine what PDA you want, its best to ask yourself what features you want and what price you are willing to spend.I personally recommend that people should have a budget of $200 at least. Yes PDA's can be got less but lower end models simply aren't worth in the long run as you will eventually want to upgrade. I also recommend a budget of $50 at least for accessories - memory, readers, case, etc.. When it comes to buying a pda - its all about choice. What suits Lisa or me may not necessarily suit you.The best thing I can suggest ls - go to a local store and try out some Palm and Ppc pda's.Regarding reliability, all pda's have little known issues - you can find these out by browsing forums.some recommendations to consider:-1. Dell Axim x30 - powerful range oi feature packed Pda's starting at $199.2. Hp's Ipaq range - theres a ppc here to suit everyone.3. Sony's TJ27, TJ37 - starting at $199 these awesome pda's are feature packed!4. Palm's tungsten range - in my opinion the original Tungsten T is an awesome PDA.Other than these - there are loads of other good PDA's to buy. Whatever you choose, read the reviews for user opinions.Enjoy!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #15967 - 10/01/04 12:52 AM

Well, I change PDAs pretty frequently but that Zaurus C860 is still a keeper. The very readable VGA (true VGA) display and excellent keyboard are big reasons. Persistent storage is another- the Z won't lose data when the battery runs down. In many ways it's a mini-notebook computer, so it functions as more than a PDA for me. If you're not Linux-shy, you can get many cards and devices working with the Z too- you can edit your own conf files rather than waiting for manufacturers' drivers. But that again puts it out of the range of turnkey PDA use.

I like the hx4700 a good deal, though I do wish Microsoft's implementation of VGA were a little higher resolution. It is hard to see stuff on screen in true VGA mode, but their version could have offers a bit higher resolution for those of us willing to squint (me) or who have great eyes (not me).

Comparing the two, it really depends on whether you want a turnkey PDA or something that verges on a notebook replacement but requires more geeking around and patience at times. If I were looking for a turnkey high end PDA, I'd certainly go with the hx4700 (or even the ASUS A730). The iPAQ's screen is really super and with very fast performance, a CF slot and dual wireless it's hard to beat.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Haku

Re: Opinion question for Lisa Gade [Re: LisaG]
      #16005 - 10/03/04 11:28 PM

Thank you for your response, but what about readability? You mentioned that the Z has a very readable VGA, but the screen is only 3.7" diagonal. On the other hand, the hx4700's VGA screen is 4" but you stated that it's hard to see stuff in true VGA. How is this possible? Could you elaborate on that?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #16010 - 10/04/04 12:46 AM

The Zaurus has a fantastic display invented by Sharp and that really helps readability as do the excellent system fonts. So I do find it readable, though small still. After two hours my eyes are a bit tired. I'm no spring chicken and do wear glasses . Keep in mind that MS didn't create true VGA fonts since they don't ship the OS running true VGA, while Sharp did ship a true VGA device with fonts designed to run at that resolution.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Haku

Re: Opinion question for Lisa Gade [Re: LisaG]
      #16036 - 10/04/04 11:51 PM

Thank you for the clarification.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3001

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage