MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
sakura

Reged: 10/03/04
Office + Internet
      #15999 - 10/03/04 03:52 PM

I want to buy a PDA that has the ability to work with Microsoft office documents, and can connect to the Internet through another computer ( by bluetooth preferably ).
I don't care about playing mp3's, video or games. I just need an internet browser, an email program and Office.

Price is my first concern!

What would you recommend?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sakura

Re: Office + Internet [Re: sakura]
      #16000 - 10/03/04 04:15 PM

By the way: can a PDA connect to the Internet through any other means except WiFi and Bluetooth? For example: can I connect to the internet through USB cable? If yes, forget about bluetooth in post above.

equus0400

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Milpitas,CA
      #16001 - 10/03/04 07:11 PM

Quote:

By the way: can a PDA connect to the Internet through any other means except WiFi and Bluetooth? For example: can I connect to the internet through USB cable? If yes, forget about bluetooth in post above.

Well, there are three devices that come to my mind...Audiovox 4100 thru AT&TW, HP6315 thru T-Mobile and Sansung i700 thru Verizon. There is the Hitachi G1000 thru Sprint. AAll these are PPC devices running the wimdows Mobile 2003 versions except for the Hitachi...these are all good devices...price is the major comcern for you..Now if the phone was not critical then you have a host of PDA's with the requirements you specify. Please check this site for the reviews on PDA's. LisaG has done an excellent job of reviewing the devices. Take a few moments to read thru the reviews and you will come out ahead of the game.She has also listed out the fair market prices and all the pros and cons of them. Just make sure you buy a unit that has local support for you in case of malfunctions.

--------------------
I thaw a putty tat..I did..I did

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Office + Internet [Re: equus0400]
      #16009 - 10/04/04 12:44 AM

Read our primer on accessing internet from your PDA:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/wireless.htm

sakura

Re: Office + Internet [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #16014 - 10/04/04 06:16 AM

I don't need a phone. But I certainly need Internet. You didn't answer my question: Can a PDA connect to the Internet through USB cable ( without using a phone ).

Let's say I have a computer connect to the Internet. If I have a PDA with BT or WiFi, it's simple: I buy a device for the PC ( BT or WiFi ) and I have Internet on my PDA.
But can I do the same thing through cable?

I read almoust all your reviews but I cannot decide on a sfecific PDA because I cannot memorize all the specifications on each one. For example, if I new that I don't need bluetooth or WiFi to connect to the Internet I would choose model without theese features. Maybe you can help me and pick one for me ( keeping in mind what I wrote above ).

Thanks

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
      #16028 - 10/04/04 04:54 PM

In your first post, you asked if you can connect your PDA to the internet via your PC by Bluetooth, the answer is yes. The reason I gave you the link is because it has this page:
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/bluetooth.htm which gives you a few ways to connect to the internet. If you have an access point at home or office, the PDA can connect via the AP. If you have a BT USB adapter, you can connect your PDA via your PC. There are several PDAs with built-in Bluetooth such as the Tungsten T3, Dell Axim X30 and all the new Fall iPAQs.

To answer your USB question, you can connect to the Net via the sync cradle. On the Pocket PC, you can do this via ActiveSync, which comes with all PPCs, when you put your Pocket PC in the cradle. On the Palm, you will need a 3rd party software to access the Internet via the cradle (http://www.softick.com/ppp/).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3254

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage