MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
niebaum

Reged: 10/05/04
1st PDA, for fun mostly. Which one?
      #16048 - 10/05/04 07:46 AM

Hello there.

I'm about to buy my first pda. I have quite clear expactations from my future hardware. I want to:
- read e-books;
- listen to mp3's (or other audio files);
- play games;
- watch movies (divx and others);
- sometimes browse internet;
- from time to time use it as a PIM;
- and ofcourse explore other possibilities of PDA's;

For this tasks (and others as well) I'll need a pda with good-looking screen, strong cpu and good battery. As for other requirements BlueTooth would be welcomed (built-in or at least as an extension card) - I want to be connected to the internet, either via GPRS with my mobile or via DSL with internet sharing connection from my pc. WiFi is not a must, but with it I would be able to connect for free in hot-spots here and there...

What is more, I like to experiment with hardware - sooner or later I would probably want to install Linux-based OS. Overclocking, any kind of tweaking, changing OS and such - that's what I want to do as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have as much money as I would want to (and who does... ?), so my price-limit is somewhere around 350 euro (or less if it's possible). I've read a lot of reviews so far and the best choices for me would probably be:
- Dell Axim X30 (312MHz);
- HP iPaq 1940;

I want a PocketPC (not Palm or other stuff). Dell seems to have everything I want, but iPaq looks good as well. I'm also thinking about DOT320 - it's interesting and it's cheap but it's hard to get one... And what about SonyEricsson P800, P900 or even P910.... they're more expensive (last two), but maybe this is something that would be better for me... ?

And of course I would like to have a piece of hardware that I could depend on. As mentioned above, good battery and stable (not crashing every 5 minutes... ).

I would be really glad if someone could tell me what will the best choice in my "situation". Maybe I've missed some interesting models?

Thank you all in advance.

Greetings,
niebaum

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 1st PDA, for fun mostly. Which one? [Re: niebaum]
      #16059 - 10/05/04 01:29 PM

For the money you want to spend, I'd suggest:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/iPAQ_rx3115.htm
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/Dell_axim_X30.htm

Both come with Wifi and Bluetooth, user-replaceable battery, good screen for video and sound for MP3. The Dell benchmarks better than the iPAQ; the iPAQ comes with some nifty multimedia tools that might make life easier for you. It's unfortunate that HP didn't keep their h1900 form factor.

niebaum

Reged: 10/05/04
Re: 1st PDA, for fun mostly. Which one? [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #16072 - 10/05/04 02:49 PM

First of all, thanks for the reply.

I've been through that rx3115's review - it looks good, however it doesn't seem to be available in my place (Brussels, Belgium). Beside, X30 is more powerfull for that price (as you pointed it out) and as for multimedia software in iPAQ - I'd probably be using third party solutions anyway...

Thank you again. Any other replies are most welcomed.

Greetings,
niebaum

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2309

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage