MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
JMan

Reged: 10/07/04
Quandry, Palm OS or Pocket PC? Development?
      #16146 - 10/07/04 11:35 AM

I am in need for a PDA. I would like something that provides me with plenty of storage and features. But another major factor in my purchase is Development and market share.
I am a developer, getting into smart devices and would also like a PDA that I can develop and learn on.
I am curious about marketshare of the OS's.
The pocket PC's do seem more expensive vs. the Palm devices. I see the Palm T5 is $399 MSRP but it is all plastic :-(.
I have been trying to find an interactive demo or something that showcases the OS's.
Overall I am looking for a PDA that would be considered above average, but I do not need the best. Memory, software, use, expandability, development, and construction are my criteria.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Quandry, Palm OS or Pocket PC? Development? [Re: JMan]
      #16172 - 10/08/04 12:20 AM

Many PDAs, both Palm and Pocket PC have plastic casings. The reason it got a comment in the T5 review is that the T3 it replaces had a metal body. Usually one hopes features aren't subtracted in the newer model .

If you want to develop for Palm OS or Pocket PC using your desktop machine, you'll be in great shape. However, if you want to run serious development environments for languages like C++, Java or C on the PDA you'll be out of luck as there isn't much to chose from in the way of IDEs. Horsepower and screen real estate are really too limiting on PDAs when it comes to development work.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1620

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage