Dan_42
veteran

Reged: 08/27/04
Loc: Shenzhen, China
T3 - manual GPRS settings?
      #16458 - 10/15/04 09:58 PM

Here's the deal.

1. Have a Tungsten T3 (yay)

2. Want to connect with T610 to use GPRS via China Mobile (since that's my service provider).

3. China Mobile isn't supported in the networking wizard on the Palm.

4. Looking through the prefrences option fields, it seems possible to create your own custom connections and scripts for log-on purposes. If this is the case, then I should be able to manually create a connection set-up to use China Mobile GPRS (since I think Palm may not release a real version soon).

Any suggestions for how to do this? Or resources where this is discussed in detail?

I realize that there may not be very many people here who use their T3 with China Mobile GPRS, but perhaps there are others who have had to custom set up GPRS for other providers...

Thanks,

- Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dan_42
veteran

Re: T3 - manual GPRS settings? [Re: Dan_42]
      #16739 - 10/24/04 11:38 PM

Managed to take care of it myself Happy about that.

On the chance that some of you may be travelling to China and would like to surf the net on your T3 via your mobile phone's GPRS on the China Mobile network, here's what I did to get it to work:

(this is assuming you already have a China Mobile GPRS account set-up and working with your bluetooth-enabled mobile phone...)

1. Go to "prefrences" and set up a new phone connection. I paired my T3 with a SE T610. In "details", the init string is changed to:

+CGDCONT=1.,"cmnet"

2. Create a new network connection in the "Network" section, give it whatever name you'd like. I suggest "Bob" or "China Mobile GPRS".

Username: CMNET
Password: CMNET

Phone number is *99#.

That's it! No scripts should be necessary otherwise. It's possible (depending on the SIM card and set up you have) that the phone number might have to be *99***X#, with X being a value 1-9 depending on the CID (not even sure what that is)...but I suggest that you use *99# first.

Fahad

Reged: 11/18/03
Re: T3 - manual GPRS settings? [Re: Dan_42]
      #17532 - 11/21/04 02:38 PM

i tried the same thing ,, creating a network and so on ,, back in december, but it never worked on my device ,, do u think there might be some other setting to be made ,,

regards.

Mike1

Reged: 11/27/04
Re: T3 - manual GPRS settings? [Re: Fahad]
      #17707 - 11/27/04 07:10 PM

I'm not going to china, but I've worked and worked at trying to connect to the internet using my Tungsten T3 and a sony-ericsson T610 phone. I've tried both bluetooth and a cable connection, but I always get some sort of error message. I use t-mobile. Any help? Thanks, Mike

Dan_42
veteran

Re: T3 - manual GPRS settings? - now with Motorola? [Re: Mike1]
      #21425 - 10/17/05 11:48 AM

I'm annoyed with Palm -

I upgraded my cell phone to a Motorola e398.

This isn't supported by Palm with their drivers, though I understand that Moto v3 or v600 drivers should work.

Unfortunately, the only way to install those drivers is via Palm's PhoneLink software.

That's fine and all - except that I live in China, and for some reason PhoneLink offers no support for any Chinese networks.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I know the manual settings for China Mobile so it shouldn't be too hard to build a new connection...BUT -

Whereas previously (with my older Sony T610), I could build a connection from scratch; now I cannot since the only time I am given the option of the newer motorola drivers is via Phonelink!

I'm really annoyed by the lack of flexibility Palm has offered in this set up.

Just got the Moto phone and I'm very happy with it otherwise, I can't believe that the manual options on my Palm are so limited...am I missing something?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6793

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage