MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
dp35

Reged: 10/13/04
Switching from Palm to Axim, many questions
      #16587 - 10/19/04 05:18 PM

My trusty Palm V was stolen, so after doing some research, I've ordered a Dell Axim X30 624, the Dell Bluetooth GPS unit, and 1G SD card to hold map and MP3 data. Can't wait! Here's a few of my questions about this upgrade:

1. I learned that I can use Yahoo to convert my Palm backup info from my desktop to the Yahoo system, then from Yahoo back to MS Outlook (CSV format) on my desktop, which can then be synched to the Axim. Is this correct? Has anyone done this? If so, are there any problems with it? Is there a better way that I should be doing it?

2. I've read that pda's running the MS system use MS Outlook to sync up with the desktop or laptop. I have "Outlook Express" on my desktop, is this the same thing? If not, will my new Dell come with whatever software I'll need to sync?

3. Regarding the sync to Outlook or Outlook Express. I've been using Outlook Express as my email software, independent of my Palm data. When I start using Outlook to back up my pda info, will this reconfigure my current email address book? Are there any potential problems with this?

4. My cell phone is outdated, and my Verizon contract is up, so I'm going to be upgrading to something that can communicate via Bluetooth with my new pda. I was leaning towards the Sony Ericsson T610 or T637, but I read somewhere that these phones had some problems communicating via BT with the Axim X30. Does anyone have this combo? If so, are there any problems? Also, are there certain phones that are better at BT communications with pda's and/or headsets, or are all BT enabled phones created equally?

I could probably ask a bunch more questions, like why the hell do I have to wait so long for Dell to send my pda! But I'll spare you for now. In the meantime, any help with the above questions would be much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Switching from Palm to Axim, many questions [Re: dp35]
      #16676 - 10/22/04 11:41 PM

1. I've heard that the Yahoo method works, but haven't tried it myself.

2. Outlook 2002 comes with the Pocket PC, so you're all set. Pocket PCs sync to Outlook which is more full-featured than the free Outlook express.

3. You don't have to use Outlook for email if you don't want to.

4. I personally haven't had problems with my T610 and the Axim X30.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2156

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage