MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
excel

Reged: 10/24/04
T3 vs. TH55
      #16728 - 10/24/04 09:11 PM

Hi guy's I'm new to the PDA scene (this will me my first) and I have a few questions...like the subject says it's between the T3 and TH55 now I'm leaning towards the TH55 cause it has Wifi and that's important to me, however there are a few things that I'm worried about 1) I know the TH55 europe version has both Bluetooth and Wifi is sony going to release that set up in north america? if so when (any rumours?) and should I wait for it?
2) I've read that the organizer functions aren't as good as the T3 if this is true can that be fix with a software upgrade of some sort (ex. palm os cobalt 6.0)?
3) is it easy to dowwnload files onto the TH55 and is the memory expandable simply by buying memory sticks?

Is there any other reasons to choose the TH55 over the T3 or vice versa?
THanks guys

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: T3 vs. TH55 [Re: excel]
      #16761 - 10/26/04 12:39 AM

1) Sony has pulled out of the US and European markets. Expect nothing new and current devices only available until stock runs out. This is a dead line.

2) First, Sony only once ever offered an upgrade, and it was hardware and software and a long time ago. Second, with Sony pulling out of market, the chances of seeing an OS upgrade from them is indistinguishable from zero. While there are no guarantees, the T3 reportedly has the horsepower to run OS 6 and the rumor mill indicates that Palm may offer an upgrade at some future time. With the T5 running OS 5.4, that time does not appear to be at hand.

3) Yes. Both the TH55 and T3 can be expanded by adding memory cards. Both also support other expansion cards beyond just memory.

Although most TH55 owners are very happy, as are T3 owners, the TH55 is a dead-end device. Sony chose to abandon its users in the US and Europe. The T3 has 52 MB of user RAM, a 400 MHz XScale processor, and natively supports rotation of its 320x480 screen to 480x320; the TH55 has 32 MB user RAM, a 126 MHz Sony processor, and doesn't support screen rotation to landscape. The TH55 has WiFi, but you can get WiFi for the T3 on an SDIO card if that's something you need. The TH55's battery life is reported to be better than the T3, but you'd expect that from a device with about 1/2 the memory and less than 1/3 the processor speed.

In the end, you should buy the device that best supports your requirements. Try to handle and try both in a retail setting before making your final decision.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1724

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage