Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Software

Pages: 1
LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
5 Bible/Scriptures apps reviewed
      #6828 - 11/18/03 07:13 PM

For the many of you who've request reviews of Bible and Scripture software for Palm OS, Tanker Bob has written a great review of Bible With You, Bible+, BibleReader+, BibleThumper and MyBible. You can read the review here: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/bible.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marlan

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Re: 5 Bible/Scriptures apps reviewed [Re: LisaG]
      #17491 - 11/19/04 02:55 PM

The review was great! (well, at least it helped me see that probably the best platform for me (including orig language helps etc) would be Olive Tree Software. Unfortunately they have way too many options on their web-site and not enough information. I've tried to contact them three different times and spent hours trying to figure out the difference between AMG's offering and the PDA Bible (Bible Study Tools and Advanced Packages). BTW, does the Advanced Package also have Tense, Voice, and Mood for orig language?

Marlan

Quote:

For the many of you who've request reviews of Bible and Scripture software for Palm OS, Tanker Bob has written a great review of Bible With You, Bible+, BibleReader+, BibleThumper and MyBible. You can read the review here: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/bible.htm

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: 5 Bible/Scriptures apps reviewed [Re: Marlan]
      #17592 - 11/23/04 09:39 PM

Quote:

The review was great! (well, at least it helped me see that probably the best platform for me (including orig language helps etc) would be Olive Tree Software. Unfortunately they have way too many options on their web-site and not enough information. I've tried to contact them three different times and spent hours trying to figure out the difference between AMG's offering and the PDA Bible (Bible Study Tools and Advanced Packages). BTW, does the Advanced Package also have Tense, Voice, and Mood for orig language?

Marlan

Hi Marlan,

Thank you for your kind assessment of our review. The Olive Tree folks are have been traveling the last couple of weeks. They are a small company and that doesn't leave many behind. The best way to reach them is through email.

Any package that comes with the KJV Bible w/Strongs has the TVM included. TVM is part of that particular KJV bundle. This bundle is part of both PDA Bible packages you mentioned. The difference between the various PDA Bible offerings is simply the number of individual products included. By comparing the descriptions at http://www.olivetree.com/retail/info.html you can see what is included in each package.

The AMG Complete Word Study Bible (CSWB) is a different animal. You can read its details at http://www.olivetree.com/amg/ . I reviewed it at http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/complete_word_study_bible.htm . It comes with the complete KJV CWSB including passage notes and both the OT and NT original language dictionaries. The textual contents are identical to the print versions. Olive Tree's write-up is a bit misleading about the dictionaries because it calls the Strong's, but in fact they are much more detailed and comprehensive than that. Althought the use the Strong's numbering system, the CWSB attaches complete grammar coding to every word in the entire KJV. Tapping an a word or its associated code brings up no only a very detailed definition, far more detailed than Strong's, but also its complete grammar coding with hyperlinks to definitions of the parts of speech. It doesn't come with the TVM because you don't need it. AMG's grammar work is far more detailed.

Which package is right for you? It depends on what you need. If you want lots of Bible versions, Strong's dictionaries, TVM, some Bible dictionaries and other references, then one of the PDA Bible packages is probably the best fit. If you want to get a more detailed exposition of the original languages using an English-language Bible, the AMG CWSB can't be beat. Also note that some of the commentaries like the JFB and Matthew Henry Concise are free and will complement the CWSB well. Some of the Greek texts are also free.

I hope that helps.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: 5 Bible/Scriptures apps reviewed [Re: ]
      #17832 - 12/02/04 05:03 AM

Quote:

I read the latest review of eBible. Good review. But how does eBible compare to the previous winner--BibleReader+? If you were forced to pick a winner _now_ which app would win?

Personally, I'd still go with BR+. Please see my previous post in this thread. The AMG Complete Word Study Bible is the best original language tool for the English Bible on the market, and the host of other offerings like many Bible versions, Greek and Hebrew Bibles and references, commentaries, and dictionaries make BR+ the most complete and versitile product. The reader itself has unmatched power and flexibility. eBible may be a better choice if you have no interest in the original languages apart from Strong's limited definitions but desire some modern commentaries or the New Illustrated Bible Dictionary.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7051

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage