MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
Tschaems

Reged: 12/25/04
Tungsten E bundled software
      #18450 - 12/25/04 09:02 PM

I bought my first PDA 2 days ago - a Palm Tungsten E, brand new and still in the shrink-wrap - and was pleasantly pleased with the features provided out of the box. However, the two main selling points for me were the ability to play MP3's and display M$-Excel sheets. To do this, of course, one needs to load the bundled software onto a PC. And this is where things started to fall apart.

Documents To Go - after installation the program tells me it has expired. Apparently there should be a registration number somewhere to revive it, but I can't see it.
http://harrier.ch/tmp/DataVis_1.png
http://harrier.ch/tmp/DataVis_2.png

Realplayer: The installation is unsuccessful with an error message regarding an incorrect stub.

Magic Dog game: Installation is also unsuccessful. Can't find a Desktop component.

The Desktop (4.1.2) also appears to be quite sensitive - altho one is allowed to install it in a random directory, I had to install it in c:\palm otherwise it gives a configuration error upon starting.

Generally the bundled software appears to be very limited in the acceptable installation directories, which is reeking havoc with my configuration architecture.

Unfortunately there seems to be no appropriate hint on the web sites of the manufacturers and Palm is not open to comments submitted per Internet. The software bundle, which is labeled specifically for this model (copyright 2003), is terribly lacking. Alas, a real disappointment. Perhaps I'd have more luck installing them in the office on WIN2K?

Operating System: Windows 98SE
Version of Palm OS: 5.2.1
Version of Palm Desktop: 4.1.2
Version of HotSync Manager: 4.0
Handheld Model: Tungsten E

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
biker128pedal

Reged: 03/03/04
Loc: VA
Re: Tungsten E bundled software [Re: Tschaems]
      #18455 - 12/26/04 09:31 AM

Did you install from the menu on the Palm software installation disk or try to run the installation from the folder on the disk? Did the disk autostart when you inserted it into the computer?

Mike

felipe

Reged: 06/28/04
Re: Tungsten E bundled software [Re: Tschaems]
      #18502 - 12/28/04 03:10 PM

Hi...

As far as I know, you can install your Palm desktop Software on a windows 98 SE machine. Evrything was supposed to work fine...I think it might a problem with your OS (may be corrupted or incompatible data)..Anyway try the same on a different machine. As for Documents to Go, Im really amazed you are getting that message since the software was given free to customers by palmOne in collaboration to Dataviz. I guess u better ctc the shop where u bought ur unit from to get a new CD.

Felipe (PalmFreak)

--------------------
Cuando Dios amanece, para todos amanece.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4449

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage