MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Dell Pocket PC

Pages: 1
lamont

Reged: 12/22/04
X50v Wi-Fi and Netgear WG602
      #18372 - 12/22/04 08:22 AM

Greets. I'm new to PPC's, just got my Dell the other day. Had an PalmIII long ago, my have things changed...

As the subject would lead you to believe, I've got a problem getting my X50 to connect with my WG602's infrastructure network. No encryption, SSID broadcast is turned off and only selected MAC addresses are allowed to connect, tried b-only and b+g modes. I've created and recreated the network settings using the correct SSID, Open Authentication (BTW, what do these other options mean??) and Encryption set to Disabled, but have only been able to successfully connect once using the DELL wireless connection wizard. All other times, the connection is marked as "Unavailable" as soon as I create it, and there is no "Connect" option on the popup menu.

Instead, the wizard always wants to create an unnamed ("") connection (the SSID field, for some reason, is read-only, so I can't change it). This connection, though marked as available (inexplicably, since it obviously doen't know the SSID), doesn't work either. The connection also refuses to go away, staying in the list after multiple "Remove Settings" menu taps, and comes back repeatedly until I disable the wireless adaptor. Since help doesn't really have any troubleshooting help, and the manual section on wi-fi is like 2 pages long, I'm stumped.

I'm fairly sure that the AP doesn't have the latest firmware, so I'm going to try that next. Beyond that, I don't know what to do. Probably will send it back if I can't get it working. Anyone have any experience to share that might be helpful? Web resource/FAQ? Is there some alternate client software that's not so annoyingly dumbed-down ("Work" or "Internet"? huh??) I could try? I've played around with Odyssey, but since the connection wizard seems to be running the whole time, I can't tell if Odyssey is even working.

HELP!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: X50v Wi-Fi and Netgear WG602 [Re: lamont]
      #18503 - 12/28/04 03:17 PM

You don't need a VPN client like Odyssey.

When your access point is set to not broadcast it's SSID, things get more challenging with Pocket PCs. One thing to do: make sure that under the 802.1x tab, the Use IEEE 802.1x ... box is unchecked.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3761

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage