MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
derektom

Reged: 12/28/04
Safest backup methods for m515
      #18509 - 12/28/04 11:29 PM

Please pardon this basic question. I'm IT manager for a multinational and have been asked by our really big international boss to help backup the data (most important is his Memo data) on his Palm m515 which took some water at the pool. The m515 apparently works but somewhat erratically. I only have very limited experience with the original Palm Pilot and a few Palm V/Vx models and those don't have a SD/MMC slot like the m515.

What is the safest backup method for the m515 - using SD card or sync with Palm Desktop using USB cradle? I have heard that if you want to backup onto the SD card, you need a 3rd-party application. If so, which one?

The big boss also uses an Apple PowerBook running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). I am wondering if the latest Palm Desktop 4.2.1 for Mac will work reliably with OS X 10.3 or if I should use The Missing Sync for Palm OS instead.

If I just need to backup his data and a PC would be safer and more reliable I can use a PC for the backup.

I have a few more days to prepare for this and would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Derek

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Safest backup methods for m515 [Re: derektom]
      #18589 - 01/02/05 04:55 PM

Backing up using Palm Desktop works very well. You would need to buy 3rd party software to backup to an SD card (Backup Buddy is the best). You won't need MissingSync to sync a Palm brand PDA to the Mac since Palm supports the Mac.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3412

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage