Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
milanuk

Reged: 12/28/04
Need some advice/recommendations
      #18495 - 12/28/04 12:34 PM

Hello,

I'm in the market for an inexpensive, somewhat no-frills PDA (prefer to keep it under $200 if I can for the base model, maybe $300 tops). Previously I used to have a Palm Vx, later gave it to the stepson, it got munched. We got him a new Tungsten E for graduation last spring, and it seemed like a newer updated version of the Vx... does pretty much everything I want a PDA to do, w/ one exception... some sort of network connectivity. Right now, I'm not *sure* I need/want that sort of feature in a PDA but I'm a little apprehensive about getting a model that I can't readily upgrade via an SD card. From what I've read here so far, the Tungsten E SD slot doesn't really have enough power to make it work, and/or it drains the battery at a frightening rate, correct? Sounds like Bluetooth is similarly out, due to drivers, right?

Any other suggestions in this range? The camera and video on the Zire 72 don't do much for me; nice to have handy but we've already got a pretty good digital camera. The Zire 21 and 31 look feasible but I worry about the screen being lo-res compared to the Tungsten E. Not exactly watching movies on it, but still... Primary uses is anticipated to be as a PIM, running some very specific applications (hi-res/color nice but not even necessary for them), maybe some odds-n-ends games (chess, strategy, etc.) to kill time, etc. Something that fits in an aluminum hard case is a must.

Any suggestions or perspectives would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Monte

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need some advice/recommendations [Re: milanuk]
      #18588 - 01/02/05 04:53 PM

Other than Bluetooth, networking capabilies are hard to come by on palmOne brand PDAs. You're right that the Tungsten E can't use the SD WiFi card, nor can the Zire 21 or 31. If Bluetooth suits you, check out the Tungsten T3 which is a very nice unit. You can also use palmOne's SD WiFi card with the T3 should you decide you want WiFi later.

Here's our review: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/palm_Tungsten_T3.htm

Prices have come down to around $300 for several vendors.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3834

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage