MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
randymcflab

Reged: 01/11/05
navigation gps for ipaq 2215
      #18746 - 01/11/05 04:19 PM

well the question is i have got a ipaq 2215 and i want a gps and navigation software with maps of europe. is there any recomendations what i should go for. any help would be greatfull

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CliffMoore

Reged: 02/01/05
Re: navigation gps for ipaq 2215 [Re: randymcflab]
      #19025 - 02/02/05 07:27 AM

I went to Radio Shack and got a hockey puck type GPS sensor, works with iPaq, Palm and PC; includes software. They were dumping it and it cost about $30, including software. The software was so-so. There are less cumbersome GPS, including CF card types, costing about $175, w/software. BTW, the best software was from Fugawi - $99, available online. You can create your own charts with it, or purchase from any number of sources, and best of all, it works with any GPS sensor on the iPaq. Basically, scan a map, download, mark lat/lon of three positions, and its a digital map. Works like a charm. They have an ENC version, $199, for using free US government ENC charts, available online, but those are for US waters only. You can get digital European charts from Fugawi or other sources and use them in Fugawi on your iPaq. I have it my 2215. BTW, a better arraignment, in my experience, is to use a Garmin handheld GPS (about $150), and connect it with cables to your iPaq loaded with Fugawi. That works extremely well, and doesn't drain the iPaq battery as quickly. Figure $250 altogther. Best wishes, Cliff Moore

CliffMoore

Re: navigation gps for ipaq 2215 [Re: CliffMoore]
      #19143 - 02/12/05 11:31 AM

BTW, just got a line on a Maptech product for $19.95 for Palm and Windows based PDAs. Free charts (download off their site on the internet), etc. Can't say how good it works, but way cheaper than alternatives. Seems to work the same way as Fugawi. Uses any GPS source connected to the PDA, moving map feature, data window for SMG, Course, bearing to waypoint, etc. The website looks good, and I've used their paper charts, which are first rate. Try www.maptech.com, or google it. The price of a couple of movie tickets. Can't imagine why I never heard of it before. I ordered it last night and will see for myself. Cliff Moore

CliffMoore

Re: navigation gps for ipaq 2215 [Re: CliffMoore]
      #19560 - 03/21/05 07:36 AM

Had a chance to install and use Outdoor Navigator on my iPaq 2215. It is superior in every way. You can't beat the price. The download is a piece of cake, and the charts are full size, official NOAA charts that reduce to a usable scale for the iPaq. I can easily read all the details - depths, bouy #s, Lighthouse and other geographical features - on a chart that covers from Block Island to Martha's Vineyard. Semingly, all of the NOAA charts are available for free (once you've paid the original $20 and registered online) and the download is easy - just indicate the area you want charts for and you get a list of available charts, including land or sea charts - they differ. I installed 8 charts on a 256M CF card with 125M spare. Also, the program meshes nicely with a GPS source - I got a hockey puck type from radio Shack, discontinued, for $30. Very nice fit, short lock times, accurate, easy to use and intuitive functions. Nice little dashboard type window at bottom of the view screen for reading CMG, SOG, XTE, Distince to Target, Bearing to WPT, etc.
Really first rate program for Windows-based PDA.

BTW, you have to have a PC to download and transfer to the PDA, but you cannot read the charts on the PC - just file #'s. This is where Fugawi is better - Fugawi works on the PC as well as the iPaq, but the iPaq version of Fugawi is too cranky, and the price for the ENC version is $198. My advice - go w/Maptech Outdoor Navigator.
Best, Cliff Moore, S/V PELORUS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6162

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage