Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
eudaemons

Reged: 02/12/05
Writing Speed
      #19142 - 02/12/05 07:03 AM

G'day

I'm looking into buying a PDA. Still unsure wether to buy a Palm (Zire 72) or PPC (MiO DigiWalker 336). It would be my first PDA which is why I'm looking at the lower end of the scale. Plus both have bluetooth, which is good so it and my phone can exchange data.

My main concern of buying a PDA in general is writing speed. Is writing on a PDA as quick as writing on paper? I realise at first things would be slow but once more hours/experienced is gained, does it compare?

Also, which OS has a better input method. I understand that both use pen what I mean is is Graphitti 2 better vs what ever Microsoft are offering.

Thanks for the help
Daniel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Writing Speed [Re: eudaemons]
      #19159 - 02/13/05 06:02 PM

Both Grafitti 2 and the Pocket PC character recognizer do a very good job. Generally speaking, most folks will aways write on paper faster because there is no handwriting recognition required with pen and paper. Unlike paper, the PDA much try to understand what you've written and turn it into characters. Many folks can write at 40wpm though. And you can always use the virtual ink notepad to write just as you do on paper (not using handwriting recognition, but just writing and leaving it as ink on virtual paper).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Writing Speed [Re: eudaemons]
      #19231 - 02/18/05 06:58 AM

There are also alternate input methods available for both which greatly increase input speed for most users.. MessagEase and Fitaly are the two most popular and effective. We have reviews of both in the software Reviews section of this site.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1934

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage