MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
trillium

Reged: 02/26/05
Repair (and how) or Replace?
      #19353 - 02/26/05 08:32 AM

I have had a Clie SJ20 for about 1-1/2 years, and have been really happy with it. Suddenly I cannot hotsynch it. I get the "The connection between your handheld and the desktop computer could not be established. Please check your setup and try again.". I have changed nothing on my PC or handheld since the last successful hotsynch.

However, following the advice on Sony's website and online chat support, I installed the desktop release. That did not do anything, so I installed the original desktop software on another PC which had never had any desktop application. It would not hotsynch with that PC either. So I thought (hoped that it might be the USB cable, and got a new one. No luck. Sony's repair website quotes $107 to repair the handheld. Does anyone have any other suggestions to try to fix it?

What I really like about the SJ20 is the option to choose backlit or not, which makes it good for outside in bright sunlight. If I cannot fix this one, are there any other products available that could do as well?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Repair (and how) or Replace? [Re: trillium]
      #19357 - 02/26/05 03:25 PM

You might also try hard reseting (erasing) the Clie. Assuming that does the trick because some piece of software got corrupted on the unit, you could restore via HotSync afterward and your data back. That is all data you had on the device as of the last sucessful hotsync.

You can turn the backlighting quite far down, but not always completely off on current PDAs. They do have transflective color screens which are reasonably viewable outdoors.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Repair (and how) or Replace? [Re: trillium]
      #19372 - 02/27/05 02:11 PM

Chances are better that the problem is on the PC. It sounds like you installed another USB device or changed your USB settings. Try unplugging the Sony's USB connection from your PC, rebooting, then plugging it back in after the reboot completes. That should allow Windows PnP to recognize the PDA hookup again. While the PC is rebooting, also soft reset your Sony.

Other than a memory corruption which a hard reset will fix, only a physical connector failure would cause this problem. Unless you dropped the Sony from a significant height and actually cracked the case, this is very unlikely.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

trillium

Reged: 02/26/05
Re: Repair (and how) or Replace? [Re: Tanker_Bob]
      #19390 - 02/28/05 06:59 PM

Thanks for the help! The soft reset did the job, stupid of me not to have tried this before.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2701

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage