MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Treo

Pages: 1
Ted

Reged: 02/27/05
Are phone and PDA carrying case with magnetic latches safe to use?
      #19366 - 02/27/05 11:58 AM

I just got a new Treo 650 and am looking for protective carrying cases with belt clips. I've been looking into leather cases with magnetic latches including the Vaja mentioned in this forum and the Sena case which is very nice.

The manufacturers of these cases say that the magnets will NOT affect the phone, the SD cards or the bluetooth function. But I would think that prolonged exposure to the magnets would affect the phone. It's made out of metal afterall. I talked to Palm, but the rep I spoke to was unsure if these kinds of cases are ok or "not a good idea".

I am curious if anyone has had long term experience with phones and PDA's using magnetic latch cases. I'd appreciate any quick feedback.

Thanks
BigBearLA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Are phone and PDA carrying case with magnetic latches safe to use? [Re: Ted]
      #19381 - 02/28/05 02:33 PM

I've been using PDA cases with magnets for years on a variety of PDAs and have never had a problem. The magnets are located near the edges of the PDA, not near internal electronics. I've been using the Sena case with my Treo and like it quite a bit. Just got the Piel Frama case in, and it's also quite good. FYI: we're running a Piel Frama case giveaway which you might want to check out It's listed under the News forum.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Re: Are phone and PDA carrying case with magnetic latches safe to use? [Re: LisaG]
      #19402 - 03/01/05 08:41 PM

Also, we are in the process of reviewing several cases for the Treo 650. So watch the news space for the notification of the review publishing.

Congrats on getting the Treo 650!

Ted

Reged: 02/27/05
Re: Are phone and PDA carrying case with magnetic latches safe to use? [Re: LisaG]
      #19406 - 03/01/05 11:07 PM

Dear LisaG and Tongzhang,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. I'm leaning towards the Sena case and am glad to hear you've had experience with it. I'll check out the Piel Frama give away, and I'll look forward to reviews about other cases.

Thanks,
bigbearla

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Re: Are phone and PDA carrying case with magnetic latches safe to use? [Re: Ted]
      #19553 - 03/19/05 01:29 PM

In case you haven't seen it, here is our case roundup review for the Treo 650:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/Treo_650_cases.htm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7453

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage