MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Ted

Reged: 02/27/05
Are carrying cases with magnetic latches safe to use on PDAs and smartphones?
      #19367 - 02/27/05 12:00 PM

I just got a new Treo 650 and am looking for protective carrying cases with belt clips. I've found a few very cool leather cases which use magnets to hold the case closed.

The manufacturers of these cases say that the magnets will NOT affect the phone, the SD cards or the bluetooth function. But I would think that prolonged exposure to the magnets would affect the phone. It's made out of metal afterall. I talked to Palm, but the rep I spoke to was unsure if these kinds of cases are ok or "not a good idea".

I am curious if anyone has had long term experience with phones and PDA's using magnetic latch cases. I'd appreciate any quick feedback.

Thanks
BigBearLA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Are carrying cases with magnetic latches safe to use on PDAs and smartphones? [Re: Ted]
      #19370 - 02/27/05 01:58 PM

Congratulations on your Treo! I have several of these cases for my T3. The magnets are not strong enough to affect the equipment or memory. You can use them without fear of losing your data or sustaining any damage due to the magnetic clasps.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Ted

Reged: 02/27/05
Re: Are carrying cases with magnetic latches safe to use on PDAs and smartphones? [Re: Tanker_Bob]
      #19396 - 03/01/05 12:43 PM

Thanks very much for your reply to my question about magnetic clasps, Tanker Bob. That makes me rest easier. And I'm gonna check out your website. Looks cool.

Best regards,
BigBearLA

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2693

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage