General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Dotey

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: BC, Canada
GPS Question
      #19659 - 04/07/05 04:01 AM

Here are some of the things on my mind, hopefully you guys can help

1. I'm looking to purchase a BLUETOOTH GPS for my Pocket PC. (I heard they are better than CF ones, also for the battery life).

2. GPS Selection: only sites i've looked at are www.buygpsnow.com and ebay. I've noticed these particular ones:

AVL Bluetooth GPS (w/16 channels) @ $105.95!!(seems cheap for a gps receiver?) Why is the price much lower than others i've seen?
Globalsat BT-338 SiRF star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver @ $179.95

These are also the ones i've seen on ebay.Also some brand called holux(?).

3. MY LOCATION: I reside in Canada, BC. I've noticed a lot software seems to be focused on the United States, does anyone have any software they would recommend for someone in Canada?

4. My Pocket PC: Asus A730w. Currently own 1G CF mem card. SD expansion also available if gps requires it.

I guess my Question is, what would you buy given these considerations (1-4)?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Janiary

Reged: 02/01/05
Re: GPS Question [Re: Dotey]
      #19664 - 04/07/05 11:55 PM

Take a look at: http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/index.html for lots of GPS options, bundles, etc. There are lots of combos, and build your own combos from Semsons. You can find individual items with a lower price, however, there bundles usually include a free car kit, mount, etc., and discounts on the bundle packages.

For software iGuidance and Destinator have been recommended items from GPSPassion. Mapopolis is nice to use, however, it is NOT convenient when recalcing some routes as you sometimes must use your PC for the routes (not handy at all). I use TomTom myself, however, it is can be $$$ compared to some of the other SW packages. iGuidance, Destinator, and TomTom all cover Canada.

I have used the new Globalsat BT-338 SiRF star III Bluetooth GPS (friends) and it works quite well for my application (TomTom on a Palm T3). I am sure it will work find with your A730W and Semsons has a TomTom bundle for that package, as well as iGuidance, but not Destinator.

For BT GPS on the cheap that works quite well, try the I.Trek BT GPS. $109 at Semsons. I can toss it in the back seat and still get 6 sats. Walk around with it, etc. Quite handy and excellent battery life.

Good luck.

Dotey

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: GPS Question [Re: Janiary]
      #19669 - 04/08/05 08:32 AM

awesome. thanks

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2786

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage