MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
berner

Reged: 05/01/05
Palm-->PPC, need PPC recommendation
      #19826 - 05/01/05 02:37 PM

OK I'm reluctantly thinking of converting to PPC (why? My life organized software).

I don't care about either kind of wireless. Looking for PPC that will fit in my pocket and does not weight a ton. Good battery life would be nice.

On the other hand, the software that I'm interested in is an outliner/organizer so having a larger screen is a good thing.

A very knowledgable person (Bob Pankratz) also converting to PPC for the same reason just bought HP 2705 (ebay).

When asked why 2705 over the HX4705?

He replied: "More memory. Faster FileStore, better battery life, no dumb touch pad..... That and I found most ppc software still runs much better at QVGA than at VGA"

Other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. oh and please tell me that PPCs are reasonably mature and don't crash too often

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/11/05
Re: Palm-->PPC, need PPC recommendation [Re: berner]
      #19829 - 05/01/05 10:12 PM

My experience with different models is somewhat limited, but I switched from Palm to an HP iPaq 1940, and I'm happy with it. If you don't care about WiFi, the 1940 is an even better option - I have a WiFi card in mine that takes up its SD slot. In fact, if you don't care about SDIO cards at all, you could probably get by with just a 1910, although it has less RAM.

These models are both discontinued, but they are widely available on eBay at good prices.

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Palm-->PPC, need PPC recommendation [Re: neo979]
      #20007 - 05/20/05 02:04 AM

For PPC stability, read my articles on this site about moving from Palm to PPC. Bottom line is that both platforms are equally stable with standard software loads. You can destabilize either with poor or test software.

The Dell Axim series are also a nice product line. They are generally small and fit in your hand well. Axims also tend to be $100 or more less than comparable HP devices for the same capability. Your best bet is to read the reviews here and then cruise the retail outlets and try different models until you find something that you like.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2649

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage