MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
rorygentry

Reged: 05/09/05
I have no idea... please offer your expertise!
      #19919 - 05/09/05 04:38 PM

I've been looking for a guide that will let me select what features I want, and then recommend PDA's that have those features. Unfortunately, it doesn't sem to exist.

I really want to be able to look at (and edit) Excel spreadsheets on a PDA. I want to be able to keep all of my employee's schedules on it so I know at a glance how many people I have scheduled to work if someone calls in sick.
Other functions I'd like would be Word and Outlook (or a very good address book) for email.
Good battery life is important.
Plenty of memory (internal and expandable) is also important.
A keyboard would be a very nice feature for me to have.
Color screen is a must.

So, having asked that...
Should I consider Pocket PC, or Palm OS?
Any brands I should really look at (or stay away from)?
What is the most versatile form of memory that can be used with PDA's?
What should a newbie know about PDa's before purchasing one?

I'm a complete newbie to PDA's, so I apologize if these questions seem simplistic or dumb. I don't know anyone who owns a PDA, so I'm not completely sure what to ask!

EDIT: I'm looking at the palmOne Tungsten T5, but I really don't know what to compare it to (or if it even suits my needs). From the very little bit that I know, it looks pretty versatile.

Edited by rorygentry (05/09/05 04:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hellenek

Re: I have no idea... please offer your expertise! [Re: rorygentry]
      #19921 - 05/09/05 05:14 PM

Hi,
I believe CNet had an interactive guide which helps you select a PDA based on your priotities. Unfortunately I cannot find the link but here's something to start with.
Be sure to read the reviews of their top handhelds. I'll post the interavtive link when I find it. Anyone know it?

PS. If you're looking at the T5, I'd highly recommend the Tapwave Zodiac 2 instead. Way more stable and loads more features at a good price. I had to cancel the T5 because of the complaints. Heck, even a T3 is a much better option. I used to use one but changed to the Zodiac 2. No regrets...

Edited by Hellenek (05/09/05 05:18 PM)

rorygentry

Re: I have no idea... please offer your expertise! [Re: Hellenek]
      #19929 - 05/09/05 09:38 PM

Thanks- I'll check out that link now, and see what I can find.

I'm also wondering about those Blackberry devices. I already have to carry 2 cell phones & a pager, so maybe that would be wise because of its built-in phone? I'm not sure what they can really do, though. Still looking for a good review of those, too.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: I have no idea... please offer your expertise! [Re: rorygentry]
      #19957 - 05/13/05 07:48 PM

Here's our recent BlackBerry review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/BlackBerry_7280.htm

You might prefer the palmOne Treo 650 which offers more advanced PDA features and supports working with MS Office documents out of the box. It's both a Palm PDA and a phone: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Treo_650.htm .

Most PDAs can do the things you listed and offer expansion using SD cards. Some Pocket PCs also have CF card slots but SD cards are easy to find and reasonably priced.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3543

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage