MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
laurah

Reged: 05/13/05
Non-US brands vs US brands- Things to consider?
      #19962 - 05/13/05 09:23 PM

I need a new PDA and I've been researching endlessly but can't decide. I was leaning heavily toward the IPAQ 4705. But I know a few people with them and they are having a few problems so I continued the search.

I keep coming back to the Loox 718/720 (prefer the non-camera version but easier to find the 720). Importers also have the Sony UX (can't remember the number but very cute tho a bit pricier). I've heard that it is not fully converted to English which could pose a problem.

Are there any other issues one has to consider when purchasing an imported PDA model? Will a Loox be compatible with US connectivity (WiFi etc) and for charging will I need to buy converters?

Also, I was told that the Asus is the same as the Loox. Any truth to this?

I want a PDA with WiFi, Bluetooth, VGA, ability to handle Word and Excel docs, play MP3s, show video and photos, plus PIM functions. (Yeah, I basically want it all except the camera).

I don't mind the bigger PDAs (in fact they are actually easier for me)but I want it smaller than a laptop, price range is to keep it under $1000 tho prefer in the $500-700 range.

I also was interested in the new Archos PMA but was told that the PIM functions are not the best.

Help. Opinions about US vs non-US or any other comments on the high end PDAs?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Non-US brands vs US brands- Things to consider? [Re: laurah]
      #19974 - 05/15/05 05:08 PM

I've had my iPAQ hx4700 since it came out and still love it-- haven't had any problems with it.

The Sony Clie UX40 and UX50 were released in the US but are now discontinued as Sony left the US market (and later the Japanese market). We have a review of those models, and they were excellent. The Sony Clie VZ90 is sold in Japan only though importers offer it in the US. We have a review of that model featured on our front page. It is in Japanese and isn't that easy for English speakers, even with CliePet's partial English hack.

Some of the Pocket Loox models are the same as the ASUS models. Though the LOOX should still work fine in terms of language.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Surur

Reged: 06/14/05
Re: Non-US brands vs US brands- Things to consider? [Re: LisaG]
      #20251 - 06/14/05 02:51 PM

I'm a British Loox owner. The Loox 720 is a very special device, mainly due to its great balance of features. Its NOT the same as the Asus 730W (It has different innards, a smaller battery and comes with different accessories). There are many American Loox owners, but no official US distributor. Most people in US buy through http://www.expansys-usa.com . Its one of their top 10 best sellers. It comes with American plugs etc. There is no other compatibility problems. The main concern with buying overseas is clearly support. People in USA have had to call on this before, and most had a good experience.

Why don't you pop over to http://www.firstloox.org , the main Loox web site, and ask American posters there what their experience has been.

Most reviewers agree that the Loox 720 is the best PPC available currently. I hope you get an opportunity to own one.

Surur

Edited by Surur (06/15/05 05:15 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2282

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage