MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Thom

Reged: 05/17/05
Replacing a laptop
      #20005 - 05/19/05 08:50 PM

I am considering a Pocket PC to replace a laptop. I need to be able to write field reports, access pdf's to review drawings and reports etc. I have read some reviews that said a good PPC will replace a laptop or notebook. What is your opinion. I would probably need to buy a full size keyboard. I think the primary question is how hard is it to work on such a small screen.

thks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Replacing a laptop [Re: Thom]
      #20006 - 05/20/05 01:58 AM

Quote:

I am considering a Pocket PC to replace a laptop. I need to be able to write field reports, access pdf's to review drawings and reports etc. I have read some reviews that said a good PPC will replace a laptop or notebook. What is your opinion. I would probably need to buy a full size keyboard. I think the primary question is how hard is it to work on such a small screen.

thks

I gave up carrying a laptop a few years ago. Both Palm and PPC will do an exellent job with MS Word and Excel documents if you use the right software, but only PPC will work directly with native pdf files. PPCs also have native networking capability with desktop Windows systems, and excellent WiFi support in those that offer it. The small screen has obvious limitations, but it can be worked around. A VGA PPC like the Dell Axim X50v, HP hx4705, and Asus A730 offer more on the display in supported programs, but you'd better have good eyes or glasses.

Your best bet is a Bluetooth keyboard. They are independent of connectors, so you can use it with a wide varitey of devices as you upgrade.

I don't see ever going back to lugging around a laptop or notebook. My Dell Axim X50v with a Bluetooth Freedom Keyboard fits the bill nicely for me.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2257

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage