Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
larryINmich

Reged: 05/03/05
Loc: guess!!!!!!!!!
wifi for Dell 416 x 50
      #20001 - 05/19/05 12:40 PM

Is something like pocketWinc software all this unit needs to connect to hot spots?
and if possible, seems like the X30, based on MobTec Reviews really gives the advantage of a camera and in upper models also builtin wifi??

Whew
if buying a car was as hard as a PDA we all would be walking....

manyTIA

L.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: wifi for Dell 416 x 50 [Re: larryINmich]
      #20017 - 05/21/05 05:18 AM

You don't even need Pocket WiNC to connect to Hotspots using the Dell or any other WiFi-enabled Pocket PC. It comes with software for managing connections-- Pocket WiNC just adds more features which power users generally find useful.

None of the Dell Axim models have built-in cameras as of this writing.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

larryINmich

#20055 - 05/24/05 12:08 AM

WELL it sure as H _ _ K would be decent if these Doo Dahs that are sellling this stuff made it CLEAR what the Bleep their device can or cant do.
I dont know what the )(*@$)(*@#)($*()@#$ WIFI ENABLED MEANS.....
My gut said it was Madison Ave jargon meaning that you could send data within like 10 ft. Period. NOBODY NOWHERE NOHOW defines the "WIFI ENABLED" .
PALM frankly out in the open says no wifi in their info or specs.
THe rest do a Medicine Man Dance in hopes folks buy whatever.
I bought whatever and its being picked up by UPS tommorrow, unopened. No was was I gotta open that carton and deal with return on a 'used' item.
So NO X50 for this dude.
KINDLY advise as to where in your review of PDA site, at each device, do you IN DETAIL state what or what not that item can do without linking via cable.............................
Maybe you folks, the GURU's of the PDA's, are doing a disservice by NOT making EVERYTHING PERFECTLY CLEAR. If U did, I wouldnt have to post 5 or 7 somewhat DUMB posts regarding all this.

Unhappily, Larry still in Mich

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: N. Virginia
      #20058 - 05/24/05 03:43 AM

Hey Larry, cut back on the meth, eh? If you had read Lisa's X50 review on this site carefully, or maybe even read it at all, you would have found the following paragraph hidden under the bold WiFi heading:

Quote:

The 520MHz X50 has integrated WiFi 802.11b wireless networking . WiFi has good range and was reliable for us connecting to 802.11b and 802.11g access points using WEP encryption. The X50 comes with Funk Odyssey VPN client and supports 64/128 bit WEP, IPSec/L2TP, PPTP, WPA and CCX 1.0. Dell includes their excellent WLAN application for managing WiFi connections, and this full-featured utility lists available networks in range (shows SSID, channel, signal strength and mode), shows data transfer stats, lets you set the default network and power saving mode and more.

That's about as explicit as it gets. I guess you missed the "full-featured utility" part along with the software list and description. Reading carefully and attentively before ranting can only improve your understanding as well as your credibility.

PDAs obviously aren't for everyone. Even with pencil and paper, you'll find their advertising and packaging don't explicitly state how to sharpen the pencil, erase/dispose of the paper, or even how to use them in combination (we call that writing). Lisa's review said more about the X50 than I've ever seen on a pencil box about their contents. The X50 and X50v are great devices, so the loss will ultimately be yours when you send it back unopened.

I humbly suggest that you pay attention and lose the attitude--life's too short. Happiness or unhappiness is ultimately your choice, Larry, even in Michigan. Choose wisely.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #20059 - 05/24/05 03:52 AM

Maybe you're doing us a diservice by not using the site search function or browsing the links on the home page to things like the listing of FAQS and how to articles. Just a thought . If you do not know what WiFi is (also used commonly in notebooks and even desktops these days), want to learn more about Bluetooth, or more about PDAs in general, or several other topics, visit our listing of FAQ articles:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/FAQ_index.htm

For WiFi in particular, here's a detailed article: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/wifi.htm

A general intro to PDAs with references to all the popular operating systems used and several recent models: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/genfaq.shtml

An article explaining the various kinds of wireless networking for Internet access used with PDAs: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/wireless.htm

And there are more but I won't list them all here. There's a lot inside PDAs these days and one review can't explain every technology in-depth, so we have the various FAQs which we try to link to (but don't always catch all the linking opportunities) in our reviews.

About your other question: When the word enabled is used, at least for techie items like mobile phones, PDAs and computers, it means it has that technology already inside and you need not buy anything additional. So a WiFi enabled PDA has WiFi inside and you need not buy a WiFi networking card as an additional product.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

larryINmich

Re: wifi for Dell 416 x 50 [Re: Tanker_Bob]
      #20063 - 05/24/05 02:49 PM

AHHHH
the pot(s) call the kettle black?
They say READ OUR WORDS OF WISDOM, WE CAN DO NO WRONG...
(and btw get off the meth...get off it yerself read on)
Well boys and girls, I have been arould probably as long as the
combination years of both the guru's replying in distain....
But nevertheless
Since your info reads "The 520MHz X50 has integrated WiFi 802.11b wireless networking . WiFi has good range and was reliable for us connecting to 802.11b and 802.11g access points using WEP encryption. The X50 co"

(shouting cause you evidently are unable to read) THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS DELL 416 [MHZ] X 50 . Hello out there, he said the cheapo 416 machine,,,, YOO HOOO......
Did I miss somoething about the 416 or is/was it upgraded to the same specs as the two faster machines??????????????????

Nuff said- maybe. I M only thinking the rest.......

L

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10079

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage