Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Sony Clie

Pages: 1
GregModerator
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Sony Clie review discussion
      #2027 - 04/16/02 02:53 PM

You've read the review of various Sony Clie models. Have questions or comments about these cool PDAs? Post em here!

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinecone

Reged: 04/29/02
Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: Greg]
      #2028 - 04/29/02 02:31 PM

Your website review shows Sony 360 with a Cradle and others say it only comes with cables What gives ??????

GregModerator
PDA Addict

Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: Pinecone]
      #2029 - 04/29/02 05:44 PM

Hi there,
The Sony Clie 360 comes with a USB cable. We don't picture it with a cradle.

quote:
Originally posted by Pinecone:
Your website review shows Sony 360 with a Cradle and others say it only comes with cables What gives ??????

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review

weinie

Reged: 06/05/02
      #2030 - 06/05/02 03:21 PM

Went to Curcit City to look at this thing. Very nice design, but it dosen't have any expansion capability. You can't add a modem, or wireless card. How stupid is that, or did I miss something?

GregModerator
PDA Addict

Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: weinie]
      #2031 - 06/05/02 03:59 PM

Well, yeah, if you're looking for great communications expansion, the Clie isn't a super strong choice . Since there are a lot of folks out there who don't intend to use wirless or a modem with thier PDA, it isn't stupid as much as targeting a particular audience (the Clie sells very well, to attest to that).

Sony does offer 56K modems for several models, including the S360, N760C, N610c and N710C .

Sony offers their Mylo wireless service and a wireless modem for the now discontinued S320. I believe there wasn't enough consumer interest in the device and service to warrant creating new wireless modems for current Clie models.

If you're into Bluetooth wireless, Sony has just released a BT memory stick in Japan and we should be seeing it here in the US soon.

quote:
Originally posted by weinie:
Went to Curcit City to look at this thing. Very nice design, but it dosen't have any expansion capability. You can't add a modem, or wireless card. How stupid is that, or did I miss something?

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review

JEAD

Reged: 11/02/02
Loc: London
      #2032 - 11/02/02 01:36 AM

And before anyone goes out to buy the mono Sony Clie SL-10, make sure you get an eye test first. The screen is very poor, quite the worst I've ever encountered on a PDA, and way below the standard of even the first Palm PDA of the early 1990s. That's some achievement. In every other way, it's an excellent device for the money, but the screen is pretty fundamental I'd say.

Aaron

Reged: 10/23/02
Loc: Illinois State University
Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: JEAD]
      #2033 - 11/02/02 09:51 AM

I've said it in a different thread, but the only glaring fault I can find with my SL-10 is the fact that the add-on keyboard costs $90 from Sony. To make matters worse it is the EXACT same kepboard that Targus has for other Sony PDAs, only a different connector. I only paid $125 for the PDA itself and am getting sort of jealous of everyone else getting a targus keyboard for their Palm devices for only $40 after the rebate currently going on. Hopefully Sony will standardize their accessory interface with the same plugin so that in the future people aren't stuck with overpriced accessories.

[ November 02, 2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

javin

Reged: 11/08/02
Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: Aaron]
      #2034 - 11/08/02 06:40 AM

[Wink] Palm has a notepad where you can write freely, does sony clie s360 have the same feature in their memo pad? I am thinking of buying a sony clie 360 but I am interested in that palm notepad feature.

LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: javin]
      #2035 - 11/08/02 09:01 AM

Notepad is an app that Palm wrote as a value-added for their brand of handhelds.
However, there are quite a few shareware and freeware ink notes applications available for download at sites like handango.com and palmgear.com, so don't let that stop you.

quote:
Originally posted by javin:
[Wink] Palm has a notepad where you can write freely, does sony clie s360 have the same feature in their memo pad? I am thinking of buying a sony clie 360 but I am interested in that palm notepad feature.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Peter_Reeves

Reged: 11/29/02
Loc: Norway
Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: LisaG]
      #2036 - 12/05/02 02:26 AM

Regarding the Clie NX70V. Modem. Can I use a the modem in a cell phone or do I have to buy the WiFi card from Sony.

Thanks in advance.

nausicaa

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: Seoul, Korea
Re: Sony Clie review discussion [Re: ]
      #11243 - 05/23/04 09:52 PM

Someone above asked about a Notepad... I haven't used the Palm Notepad, but I'm guessing that "Clie Memo" might be a similar thing; you write/draw pictures directly on the screen (u can choose 3 colors and 3 line thicknesses, the thickest "pen-nib" feels best for me)-- best thing is that in Clie Viewer (where you see thumbnails of your pics and Clie Memo memos) the line thickness is automatically adjusted to the thinnest one (not in the real file, though, just for viewing in the viewer), so you can read your notes in the thumbnail no prob! (To be clear, my TJ37 came with both "Memo" and "Clie Memo" without coming with Clie Organizer)

I am really grateful that pdabuyersguide was there when I was looking around for a Clie.
I was getting my Clie as a graduation present, but still I was thinking about the expense b/c the present was from my mom and dad (who, like most parents, aren't made of money!)

Comparing the photos that Lisa took on her NX80V with the ones she took on the 0.3 megapixel camera, I had my heart set on the NX80V (and the pda itself looks soooo beautiful, and elegant and sexy despite the bulk!!! ), then started to covet the TH55 (b/c of Battery Life, Clie Organizer and the more compact design ), but then ended up getting the TJ 37 b/c it turned out that shipping from the US (where most internet vendors are selling from) to Korea was tantamount to usury (really really expensive) and the TJ37 seemed the most pda for the budget buyer.

However, b/c of the info on this site (and Cliesource), I was already realistic... or in other words, reconciled with the things I wouldn't be able to do (ie, shoot movies, use the infrared port as a remote control, no voice record, no thumb keyboard, no virtual graffiti etc) on the less expensive but still extremely useful & wonderful TJ 37. So, this meant my satisfaction level was really really high when I actually got the pda in the mail. But on the other hand, I really read through a lot of reviews pretty carefully as well as looking through the different postings to see what other people were saying... and thus had already bought a PDA-USB connector that recharges the PDA from the desktop USB port as well as syncing (b/c the connector that comes with the TJ 37 looked like there were too many itty bitty interconnections that could break) as well as a memory stick (and of course, a screen protector and case) in advance.

The only thing that would've been nice is if there had been more comparison pictures of different machines next to each other. I later saw someone with a TH55, and man, that pda sure feels really thin and small (although it is bigger than mine in measurements, it felt so thin and small in my hand!) But this may be an issue unique to me and other overseas buyers who don't have a local Circuit City or Best Buy to drop by in order to actually see and feel the pdas with your own eyes... (the pda stores in Korea are few and far between, and it seems like they mainly special-order pdas & ship them out right away so the machines themselves aren't usually "in stock" or viewable.)

I know you were just asking about the Sony Clie reviews, but I also have to add that I really really enjoyed the software reviews posted by tanker bob (i think that's his name).

My Docs ToGo word program is not compatible with the Korean-language localizer software, so I was in the market for a new word program and wouldn't have known heads from tails if hadn't been for the excellent software review!!!
I just wish there were software reviews (for Palm OS that is) for "replacement" software. That is, I'm currently agonizing over "Datebook 5 or Agendus 8"? If only Datebook 5 had all the cool features of Agendus's "contacts" (support for pictures in the address book viewer etc) or Agendus had all the elegant aspects of Datebook 5... (although I did not have the datebook conduit problems that the user above had)

Anyways, thank you for all the help! I'm sure I wouldn't have come to appreciate my pda as much, or the stuff my pda could do with the right software, if it hadn't been for your site (although my friends are complaining that i'm spending too much time on my pda & on the net... )

I also wanted to add my two cents on my TJ 37... (i forgot to address your original question that is)
1. The reviewer didn't like the Clie TJ 37's thin buttons (for datebook, contacts, to do and memo)... but i really like 'em.
They have a thin depression in the middle of each button, so I can just depress each button with my stylus (b/c the stylus tip fits the little groove/depression in the center of each button) instead of messing around with changing my stylus grip to use my fingers...

2. I also liked the digital camera a lot. The pictures (even in my inexperienced hand) came out much better than I had expected. Also, the "capture" button is situated in such a way that the pda FEELS just like a truly lightweight point-and-shoot camera. Nice touch!

I listen to MP3s while reading text files on my pda (I spend a lot of time commuting on the subway). I've already received a business card through IR beaming (I've owned the machine for about a week). It can do everything I really need it to do, and the screen resolution is beautiful to behold (and I can turn off the backlight easily simply by sliding down + holding on the power slider for a few seconds).

gosh, this post is getting too long... Well, anyway, I just wanted to say that I am really satisfied & a proud owner of a TJ 37. (Well, if only Sony would do something to make the battery life a bit better... I could be a bit happier...) Thanks to everyone who posted helpful info!!!

Edited by nausicaa (05/23/04 10:24 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage