MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
pdadork

Reged: 06/23/05
Built-in keyboard or not?
      #20349 - 06/23/05 07:28 AM

I don't have a PDA yet but I have been shopping around for one. I'm not that interested in schedules, lists and contacts. I'm more interested in the wifi access on a portable system. This would be helpful for traveling. I would probably get the foreign language reference software and other stuff like games.

I have considered a lightweight laptop but I tend to carry other hardware when I am on a trip. Digital SLR, at least a couple extra lens, portable storage for digital photos and cellphone. A PDA would be easier to deal with than a laptop.

I am thinking that I will need a built-in keyboard for the PDA. I don't know if I can deal with just handwriting enter data, at least not in the long term. Even a software keyboard on the screen may not cut it for me. But I do notice that many PDAs do not have built-in keyboards. How do you guys deal with it? Am I just a keyboard geek?

After browsing several PDA websites, I am leaning towards the IPAQ H4350. The new Zaurus seems great but too expensive (and not fully translated from its original Japanese?)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Built-in keyboard or not? [Re: pdadork]
      #20368 - 06/25/05 01:05 AM

I've been using PDAs for about seven years, almost all without a keyboard. Keyboards built into PDAs tend to be thumbboards or single finger only. Input methods like MessagEase and Fitaly, which are both available for PPC and Palm, can speed up data entry tremendously. If you're still stuck on a keyboard, there are a number of Bluetooth full-size keyboards available. Reviews of MessagEase, Fitaly, and keyboards including the BT Freedom which I have, are available here on MobileTechReview.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2459

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage