PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
mabella

Reged: 07/01/05
Cingular Question about the SX66
      #20430 - 07/01/05 07:46 PM

Hello -
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be purchasing the Siemens SX66 in the next week or so and I have a couple of questions (I'm a PDA/Smartphone novice, so excuse my naivete).

First, am I going to have a hard time linking to my web-based (free) email from the SX66. Do I have to use the cingular email service?

Might it be cheaper to order the SX66 from Cingular online v/s a Cingular store? Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess I would then just pop into a Cingular store to get help setting it up. Purchasing in the store is about $660 out the door plus the $39.99 monthly service fee (ouch).

The cingular price of $39.00/month for the unlimited data service seems so high to me. Is this fairly on par with the other carriers?

Thanks in advance.
Mabella

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Cingular Question about the SX66 [Re: mabella]
      #20470 - 07/06/05 11:42 PM

Cingular's data plan has gone up, but now that they and Verizon rule most of the US, it seems they can get away with the new higher prices. Verizon's PDA data plan is even more expensive at $45/month. But T-Mobile's is only $20. Though T-Mobile doesn't have EDGE, only the slower GPRS, so they really can't charge as much.

If you're starting a new contract, the cheapest place to get the phone is from Amazon.com. There's a link to the Amazon product in our review. It's something like $379 after rebates there!

You don't need Cingular's mail service to pick up your own email. Standard POP3 and IMAP email accounts are supported by Pocket Outlook. For Hotmail, you'll use Pocket IE. Folks get their Gmail email used Pocket Outlook too, but I personally haven't done this. For other web based email accounts, settings and support vary.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2322

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage