Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Sony Clie

Pages: 1
Tim

Reged: 05/24/02
Loc: NYC
Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible?
      #2045 - 05/24/02 08:17 PM

Your reviews say that the Sony CLIE is not compatible w/Macintosh. What do you think of "The Missing Synch" by Mark/Space? Does it work?

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html

[ May 24, 2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Greg ]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GregModerator
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: Tim]
      #2046 - 05/24/02 08:48 PM

We just got a copy of that software in for review. Yes, it looks like a great way to use your Mac with a Clie!

p.s.: I edited your post to correct the URL [Smile]

[ May 24, 2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Greg ]

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

Rockaway

Reged: 01/20/03
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: Greg]
      #2047 - 01/28/03 02:51 PM

Sony CLIE is compatible with the Macintosh. Just ignore the Sony CD programs. Go to the Palm website and download for free Palm OS 4.X for Mac. That's it! Everything works perfectly so skip Missing Sync.

Rockaway

Reged: 01/20/03
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: Rockaway]
      #2048 - 01/28/03 02:55 PM

Sony CLIE is compatible with the Macintosh. Just ignore the Sony CD programs. Go to the Palm website and download for free Palm OS 4.X for Mac. That's it! Everything works perfectly so skip Missing Sync.

LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: Rockaway]
      #2049 - 01/28/03 04:25 PM

Some folks can get their Clie working with their Mac w/o using MissingSync (though you won't get to mount the Memory Stick on the desktop or have iTunes and iPhoto integration in OS X), while others have no luck. Generally, the newer models are more likely to play with the Mac w/o additional software.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Andres

Reged: 02/06/03
Loc: San Mateo
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: LisaG]
      #2050 - 02/07/03 02:16 AM

I just got a NX70V, and using it with the missing sync all works as advertised BUT for the fact I am unable to load movies (mpeg4 or mov) to the memory stick in a way that the NX70V plays them. I've folowed the directions of the review. Converting the recorded .mqv to .mov works, but I am even unable to upload the "dolphins" movie provided in the CD. Can anyone help me? I've converted the CD included "dolphins" (mpeg1 muxed) to mpeg4, mpeg4 basic, installed them in the /MS_ROOT/100MQV01 and /MSSONY/MOMML001, and nothing (by the way, when using the finder to move files to the MS, the finder creates "ghost" files with names starting in "._" -- this only servers to preserve the resource fork (old HFS issue - you can safely delete them) )

LisaG
Head Honcho

Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: Andres]
      #2051 - 02/07/03 02:47 AM

You really don't have to convert MPEG1 files to MPEG4 format, the Clie can play both. Don't convert the files, simply copy them to the MSSONY/MOML0001/ directory on your Memory Stick. Make sure the directory name is spelled exactly this way (I noticed an extra "M" in your post, but that might've been a typo). Before doing this, make sure the file extension ends in .MPG and that the naming convention of the files is MOVXXXXX.MPG, where all those Xs are numbers, not letters. Case is important, so you need to use upper case. Wouldn't it be nice if Sony made this a bit less painful?

For Quicktime movies in MPEG4 format, you don't need to do any converting, just change the file extension to .MQV from .MOV. Those go in your MQ_ROOT/100MQV01 folder on the Memory Stick.

quote:
Originally posted by Andres:
I just got a NX70V, and using it with the missing sync all works as advertised BUT for the fact I am unable to load movies (mpeg4 or mov) to the memory stick in a way that the NX70V plays them. I've folowed the directions of the review. Converting the recorded .mqv to .mov works, but I am even unable to upload the "dolphins" movie provided in the CD. Can anyone help me? I've converted the CD included "dolphins" (mpeg1 muxed) to mpeg4, mpeg4 basic, installed them in the /MS_ROOT/100MQV01 and /MSSONY/MOMML001, and nothing (by the way, when using the finder to move files to the MS, the finder creates "ghost" files with names starting in "._" -- this only servers to preserve the resource fork (old HFS issue - you can safely delete them) )

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mhodges738

Reged: 04/01/03
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: LisaG]
      #2052 - 04/02/03 07:41 PM

Concerning Clie and Machintosh -
Will Clie NX60 be able to be upgraded to be Bluetooth compatible?
Thanks,

LisaG
Head Honcho

Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: mhodges738]
      #2053 - 04/02/03 08:41 PM

Sony only sells their Bluetooth Memory Stick outside the US. Another company is working on one that should be available this summer (along with a WiFi Memory Stick). In the meanwhile, you can sync using the cradle if you get a copy of MissingSync.

quote:
Originally posted by mhodges738:
Concerning Clie and Machintosh -
Will Clie NX60 be able to be upgraded to be Bluetooth compatible?
Thanks,

--------------------
Lisa Gade

The_dude999

Reged: 08/02/04
Re: Sony CLIE/Macintosh compatible? [Re: ]
      #13955 - 08/02/04 07:11 PM

No longer annonymous

Hi,

I have a sony clie NZ90 and a new PowerBook G4. Does anyone know if the two are compatitble with bluetooth? When i search for a device on the good old mac, it spots the PDA that in turn prompts the user to enter the pass key. At this stage you can even save the mac to the 'trusted device list'.

However... When you try to set up a connection to the mac via edit connection, when you scan for a another device, the NZ90 cannot see the mac! The NZ90 can see my PC, but just cant see the mac.

I tried diactivating all other bluetooth devices in the room (Sony-Eri T630, T68i) but to no avail

Any suggestions?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13814

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage