MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC General Discussion

Pages: 1
Natator

Reged: 07/18/05
Backup and restore to new PDA
      #20595 - 07/18/05 08:29 PM

I am about to sell my existing PDA. In a couple of weeks time I will have a new one.

I need to be able to therefore back up all the data on my existing PDA, which is Windows Mobile 2002 ... but then restore it to a completely new device, which is Windows Mobile 2003.

If I do a standard backup via the inbuilt backup utility, and activesync, can I then do the reverse on the new PDA?

It is particularly the address book and calendar that I am concerned about as I doi not want to find I lose all the data as I suddenly can't import it to the new PDA.

Any advice? Or is this simply a non issue and I can back up from one and import automatically to the new one.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Backup and restore to new PDA [Re: Natator]
      #20992 - 08/29/05 10:40 PM

You cannot restore a backup from a device that runs an older OS and is a different brand or model. This is because system files are different between brands, models and operating system versions. However, if you are just concerned with your PIM data (contacts, calendar, tasks, notes and email) then sync the old PDA to Outlook on the desktop. That way when you sync your new PDA, it can sync to desktop Outlook and all that data will be put on the new PDA.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3141

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage