Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
Akula_dude

Reged: 02/09/05
Loc: Um, i actually dont know...
Universal
      #20587 - 07/18/05 12:59 PM

Hi!

OK. I'm sure most of you are already aware, but HTC are planning a big big PDA. The Universal. Press release(http://www.htc.com.tw/news/press050511.html) has already been made, and I have spent many hours combing the web for details, but so far I still cannot find the one piece of info that really matters to me.

Screen size.

As I said, I've spent many hours combing the web, but no cigar. Any ideas? I damn well hope it's not lower than 3.7", cos my eyes'll implode.

Also...

Price.
It's a very high end device, I know, but any estimates?

Help severely needed...
(I'm hoping to buy one after Xmas)

Akula.

PS. If I find out any more info, I'll post it.

--------------------
My PDA History:
palm m100 > iPAQ h2210 > benQ P50 > MDA Pro
Next PDA: dunno... must have VGA, 624mhz, and a keyboard.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Universal [Re: Akula_dude]
      #20615 - 07/20/05 12:24 PM

I don't believe HTC has said definitively but I believe the LCD will be 3.8" diagonal. Given that VGA on Windows Mobile doesn't really show you 4x more than standard QVGA, it should be just as readable as the other VGA Pocket PCs out there.

As for price, that depends on carrier subsidy and what country you're in. If you're in the US, no carrier here has commited to carry the Universal yet. If they did, it would like need a different radio config. since US bands for voice vary (we use one frequency not used elsewhere: 850 MHz) and 3G here runs on 1900 MHz while Europe and Asia are on 2100 MHz. This means you could use an imported one but not with great success on Cingular / ATT for voice and 3G would not work here. Of course, Verizon or Sprint could offer it with a CDMA radio instead of GSM...

My guess is that importers will charge $900 US or more for the Universal. If a carrier picks it up, I bet it will cost $650 will a new 2 year contract. Just educated guesses...

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Akula_dude

Re: Universal [Re: LisaG]
      #20644 - 07/22/05 01:28 PM

Hi Lisa,

I'm currently on O2 UK with a SE T630, but so far O2 havent said anything about the Universal. If they dont carry the Universal, I'd probably go with T-Mobile. I think my top bid would be around ?450 GBP (I think that's about $800USD???) because as it is, I'm 13 and more than ?450 would be too much to spend in one go. (yes, I have been saving my pocket money for two years!)

The Screen. I know about MS's use of VGA, but I also now that SE_VGA can put it into true VGA mode. If I put my glasses on, I may have a chance of reading the screen in true VGA then. Judging from the pictures I'v seen compared to the Blue Angel or Himalayas, it looks around 3.7", which is acceptable. Would have liked 4" though.....

--------------------
My PDA History:

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Universal [Re: Akula_dude]
      #20646 - 07/22/05 02:44 PM

Well, you have a very nice budget to work with! I should think you'll be able to get it for that price or less with a new contract (do you folks call that a tariff?).

The author of SE VGA will have to update thier app for Windows Mobile 5, since it was written for Windows Mobile 2003 SE. All indications are that the Universal with run Windows Mobile 5.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Akula_dude

Re: Universal [Re: LisaG]
      #20653 - 07/23/05 05:24 AM

Yeah, we Brits call it a tarriff, or whatever it's called...

Thanks for all the info.

Akula

--------------------
My PDA History:

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage