MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
pika2000

Reged: 08/15/05
Questions about palm's lifedrive
      #20853 - 08/15/05 11:13 AM

Hi, I've been using palm based PDAs for quite some time (from handspring, and now Tungsten E). So far, I only have limited use for it. I'm interested in the lifedrive. It seems to be a very versatile unit, and since it is palm based, I can use my old apps. I'm planning to use it as a regular PDA, an occasional MP3 player, to browse internet, and maybe a video player.

1. For those that own the life drive, how do you guys like it?
2. I've been reading a bunch of reviews, but still confused. Can the lifedrive acts as a USB mass storage device? (meaning if I want to put MP3s on it, I just drag-n-drop via explorer)
3. As for video playback, due to the unit's processing power, I assume you have to transcode any videos (ie. Divx) to lower res. Is it compatible with Nero Digital? Presumably the mobile preset setting? Is there a simple transcoding software included?
4. Can you use portrait mode for internet browsing? I assume this is possible, but just checking.
5. My main beef is probably the price. For $500, this is an expensive unit. Does anyone know if palm going to release a similar/newer unit soon? Or maybe a price drop? I don't want to spend $500, and find out a newer unit (maybe with OS6) coming out days later. On the other hand, even the tungsten E has not dropped in price since it was released (MSRP still at $200).

Any feedbacks are welcomed. I like palm based unit mainly because I started with one (handspring), so I already have palm based apps. Also, battery life for a palm unit seems to be better than PPCs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Questions about palm's lifedrive [Re: pika2000]
      #20883 - 08/16/05 11:54 PM

You can use it as a removable USB drive with a PC or Mac.

It comes with video conversion software but as we mentioned in our review, it's not the fastest at converting. Files recorded up to 500kbps play well on the LifeDrive (resolution of approx. 400 x 320). There are several converters on the market, give your favorite a try first to see if it does a good job.

You can browse the web in portrait or landscape, whichever you prefer. In fact, all include apps work in both orientations as do 3rd party apps with the exception of games which generally set the orientation themselves.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3168

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage