MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Notebooks >> Tablet Computers

Pages: 1
larryINmich

Reged: 05/03/05
Loc: guess!!!!!!!!!
New Toshiba 14" Tab PC purchased, wondering....
      #19894 - 05/06/05 11:13 AM

So now I have this wonderful do it all PC that can (apparently) give me text from my voice and from my scribbles. (no I have not powered it up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!0 I saw a 12" screen TAB in Compusa and was thoroughly impressed with the handwriting translation to text, so bought the bigger and better item.
BUT
Here/now I have this THING and its operating manual is about as thick as one of the yearly symphony programs, and almost the same information...
Meaning literally NO info on the voice or the tablet use itself???!!!!!!!!
What am I missing here? Does all the 'help' come from within the machine? Or M I supposed to track down the info on Tosh site and DL or purchase it???????????
What he said was THIS IS STUPID. Where are my manuals for these two new technologies?????????????????

Knowlegible intelligent responses appreciated. You should see my old Sony computer manual.....as big as Sony for Dummys.....

larry

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong Zhang
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: New Toshiba 14" Tab PC purchased, wondering.... [Re: larryINmich]
      #19913 - 05/08/05 06:39 PM

I had similar feelings when I first saw a Tablet PC, even though I had read as much as I could about it. I think, like many machine, you probably want to start with what you want it to do for you. Set up your email, install Office apps type of thing, like you would with a regular laptop. Then, explore the Tablet features such as a the handwriting and voice recognition features. The SP2 update on the OS made the handwriting recognition extremely easy to use. All Tablet PC comes with some sort of tutorial on this. When running the Tablet Edition OS, your MS Journal app, Word and other applicaitons have handwriting plug-ins. This allows you to write in your own handwriting as if you were writing on a piece of paper with a pen, the Tablet will translate your handwriting into digital text or save it as is.

Voice regconition. app works much better with the OS update. You will need to go through a 10-15 minute voice training to get the max results. You can't talk too fast. But if you speak clearly and enunciate the words, the machine should have no problem recognizing your voice.

larryINmich

Re: New Toshiba 14" Tab PC purchased, wondering.... [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #19984 - 05/17/05 07:16 AM

I bought the subject item. Currently slowly working with it, have done nada with the voice area tho. Quite impressive machine. Screen is 'unuslal' in that it is fine overall but the surface very non glare. Does not appear as if it has any plastic overlay to peel off (!!!??).
More to follow later as an FYI for others- IF they can find this fine website.

Larry

larryINmich

Re: New Toshiba 14" Tab PC in use [Re: larryINmich]
      #20056 - 05/23/05 07:15 PM

No problem with machines speed, just super. The display is wierd, very anti reflective but not as good as it might be.
So far am able to print yust fine thru USB. I am grabbing old files from my 9 yr old VIAO with builtin ZIP drive, and got the latest XP driver installed on the Toshiba. No problem at all xferring data from the old win 95 machine to the XPPro.
This is a desktop replacement, you dont wanna carry it around in the plant. Get the next smaller size if thats what you want. WOrking with color and layers with Photoshop CS not a problem, but I HATE that it automaticlly assumes every dig image is its property, where my ole reliable MGI photosuite 8.05 is all I need for initial review and inspection of images, even minor rework and touchup.

More in a week....

larryINmich

#20116 - 05/28/05 07:45 AM

Continuing the beat, the machine continues to be awesome. Sticky notes, handwriting and printing recognition, both super. printing recognition is about 99%. Easy to correct.
Working with dig photos on Photoshop CS is OK, the pen works good here... I am avoiding the small but convenient finger operated mouse substitute- th e stylus is so much more natural.
Soon will try the drawing program designed for the slate and PDA's.
later.
PS Batt life about 3.2 hours, as expected. Sound from those tiny speakers marginal, as is volume.

larryINmich

#20316 - 06/21/05 07:49 AM

Referenced item continues to be yust fine. Prefer working with stylus rather than the mini finger pad, for drawing and standard text work. Not currently using a mouse at all.
jumped into voice area, bad news is that there is NO voice to text converter included. My misteak, think couple other tablets do. I did, however, utilize jyst to test, the machine reading to me. The program includes voice commands (not yet tried) and the apparent scenario of multisking by a human, that is, you use IE to web browse and the software will read your browsed documents to you, while you continue to do whatever....
I lied to the machine, and opened IE (I do not use it for my browser, am a happy Firefox conver. Then I opened a new msg to send, and pasted info I had typed for another use, into the msg box. And yes VIrginia, it was correctly read back to me.
Also have tried the Alias Sketchbook again, but its different enough from Photoshop and others that I care not for another learning curve. Have to assume its OK tho, no apparent hangups yet havent found out how to copy/capture part of the image.
Thats it from Lake Toshiba, folks. Useful batt time, often using it for an hour or so then shutting down, still about 3 hours.

Tong Zhang
Senior Editor

#20322 - 06/21/05 01:58 PM

In the Input Panel, if you choose Speech, you can speak to the Tablet and it will "translate" your speech into text in the Input panel. You will need to go through the speech training the first time you use it.

larryINmich

Re: New Toshiba 14" Tab PC in use [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #20338 - 06/22/05 11:03 AM

Well thats definately good news. Toshiba's manual is not much, website seems complete but still hard to navigate, and not able to search for such as "Speech.txt" or whatever.....
Anyway I shall try your welcome hint, actually saves me from the Dragon at $80 for basic item.....buys a lotta ice cream.....

Larry

Tong Zhang
Senior Editor

#20341 - 06/22/05 01:05 PM

Let us know how well it works. Some tablets are better at it than others. I've used the Averatec C3500 recently for a review. The speech feature works extremely well and recognized every single thing I said. You've got to speak a bit slower than the usual speed in converssations though.

larryINmich

#20358 - 06/24/05 07:43 AM

Well Tong, I am now officially voice empowered via the mike and 'talke to me' 10 min training program. But USE the thing? No way. I continue to curse Toshiba for their lack of manual or info as to how to use the various NEW TO MANY BUYERS features of their machine.
My 9 yr old Sony VIAO came with excellent manual. 3 yr old Gateway soso. The voice training readback is all about how fine their new voice technology is, yet no info as how to really access and use it.
Their tech folks, all of which are familiar with the machine, bypass those new to its magic speech kingdom.
Having been with computers since the pre- Apple IIe days, I M not exactly a newby.

Larry

Tong Zhang
Senior Editor

#20359 - 06/24/05 12:48 PM

I agree. A good manual should cater to both new users and veteran users of that product. To be fair to Toshiba though, the speech and many features for the Tablet PC Edition came from Microsoft. It's part of the OS. But I do agree that SOMEONE should write a good manual for these features as they are powerful when used right.

If you are up to some reading, check out Microsoft site for some XP Tablet Edition info. Also, if you want to make it more fun, check out the Power Toys designed for the Tablet here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/tabletpc.mspx

larryINmich

Re: New Toshiba 14" Tab PC in use [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #20498 - 07/09/05 08:42 AM

Speech remains a major boondoggle. I had it read to me once the 2nd day I had it. Since then NADA. You must have an app OPEN that is preprogrammed for Speech scenario.

Speech to text not yet. TOO MANY hidden nuances to deal with. It is FAR from user friendly, in fact it may have been designed by the Vorgons who really dislike humans.....

Otherwise its a great machine. Its size is at the MAX for tablet use, any bigger and it will feel like sketching or working on 18 x 24 or larger newsprint pad.

L.

more later....

larryINmich

#20918 - 08/22/05 07:09 AM

Still pleased with the machine. Have enjoyed the tablet feature working with photoshop and other drawing related items. Machine speed adequate. The tiny ikons at bottom of screen are TERRIBLE. Cant hardly see or read em. Too many. Also all the plugs, holes, buttons, whatever around the periphery of the machine edge are INVISIBLE, all black. Ever try to adjust a black mini mini volume thingy? Or find the USB vs other items?
Gives new meaning to the phrase Black Hole. How bout printing in legible text on the machine keyboard face periphery what is where? I may have to do this MYSELF!!!!!
The speech and Speech To Text works OK tho havent used same much, I look at this overall product as a steppingstone into the next generation of PC's.....

Oh yes, the screen is still hard to get used to. The antiglare surface (or surface to get tablet function, dont know which or what) is simply, OK. My Samsung SyncMaster 151 makes the Tosh look sick!!!! Yeah I have adjusted same...

Cheers

L

larryINmich

#24239 - 06/20/06 08:57 AM

So here i sit, using me old GTWY 1.4 celery machine desktop and write boutg my Toshiba Convertible.
Still ticks on. U can change ikon size, but they seem to revert back to mini size. Couplea network connections I toyed with now are agitated and every time I log on say "I aint right fix me" and I must close these two windows EVERY time. Likewise for my printer, 'I aint configgered fix me.". WHERE IS THE CANCEL FOR ALL THIS GARBAGE?
THEN
I want to attempt to record some stuff to my LiteOn ext DVDRW drive USB.
Well i can usually, course now Tosh sells same item with more ram and a full DVDRW drive not just DVDread, for less $ than I paid with rebate.
THANKS toshiba.
I attempted to do something, what, yes it was connect my Firewire on tosh to my firewire of my also new ext DVD recorder, appliance style.
Well they would not talk, then find there is some kind of dingaling thing I am supposed to initiate that acts like a radar and shows my connections. More playing with that and all I got was those two warnings every time I sign on. BUT it was no help with my FIrewire coonnection......
IMHO Toshiba has too _)(@#_$()@#$ many engineers thinking of ways to assist people who dont need assisting, they just need the )(*IQ#)(IER()Q machine to WORK. Seriously folks, over a year and I still cant deal with all the CRAP Toshiba thinks is useful, serves only to clutter up the Ram, swap files, etc.
Wood I buy another Toshiba??? NO NO NO
I am going to the mall next couplea days to the GTWY display to see how bad their convertible is garbaged up. If it aint, I will save my stuff to DVD, and wipe clean by reinstalling WINXP and put her up for sale in the Bay.
A year of nuisance has been enuf. and that pen, with its invisible clicker, DUUUH. Did their engineers ever think you wanted to see WHERE the clicker was????

Larry in Mich

PS I bot a 19" Dell hi rez swiveling monitor LCD, super item,the concept of having an extended desktop is cool. great for two items open to see fully. FYI

Tong Zhang
Senior Editor

#24250 - 06/20/06 12:48 PM

Does your Dell monitor have any color bias?

I was looking at the 24" and 30" monitor they are showing at a mall, they had some color bias no matter how I tweaked the settings.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 27283

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage