MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC General Discussion

Pages: 1
phil

Reged: 09/03/05
How Does the Operating System Read the My Documents on a Storage Card?
      #21051 - 09/03/05 01:12 PM

I'm hoping for some help. I'm using a Siemens SX 66 with the Windows 2003 SE Operating System. I'm using a 1.0 Gigabyte Sandisk Storage Card. Overnight, the programs running in active memory (Notes, Word, Excel, Trenotes, Streets and Trips) stopped being able to read or write any files on the Storage Card, but only the ones in the My Documents folder on the storage card. All of this worked fine until this morning. The odd things is that my file system programs (I use both SPB Pocket Plus and GSFinder Version 1.99) are still able to read and use the programs listed above. So I can't start any new files in any of these programs, but I can open and edit existing files. Windows Media Player, and the Photo programs I have are reading the card fine, but those files are not in "My Documents."

The only thing I did last night was to install several skins for the Windows Media Player 9 into the program folder, and to download several Today Screen skins.

I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer on this. The thoughts that have occured to me are the filing system on the card (esp. My Documents), the "Ignore my Documents" file (which is currently on the card and keeps coming back), and that possibly something in the Windows Media Player Skin Installation screwed up the way the other programs are reading files on the card.

Thanks.

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
phil

Re: How Does the Operating System Read the My Documents on a Storage Card? [Re: phil]
      #21052 - 09/03/05 05:22 PM

Friends,

Thanks for your help. I started fiddling around with things and found that when I deleted the "Ignore my Documents" hidden file that had somehow gotten in the system, the problem disappeared.

Any idea what this file is all about or why it appears? I seem to remember some problems with it when I was using an old T Mobile PPC Phone Edition.

Thanks.

Phil Butin

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: How Does the Operating System Read the My Documents on a Storage Card? [Re: phil]
      #21086 - 09/08/05 12:43 AM

That dummy folder is put on all storage cards by the Pocket PC. I believe it's to get ActiveSync to not backup the card-- my guess. I've had it on all my storage cards over the years and it never caused any problems.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

phil

Re: How Does the Operating System Read the My Documents on a Storage Card? [Re: LisaG]
      #21123 - 09/11/05 08:36 PM

Thanks, Lisa,

The card thing was resolved by deleting the "Ignore my documents" file. However, I have another question now. My Siemens SX 66 does a lot of unwanted hard reboots. I don't know if it's software or hardware, though I do run a lot of add on software and use 1 Gig card.

I'm resigned to having to do frequent backups. However, When I use the Activesynch backup function (I'm still using 3.7.1) it will not properly restore the Microsoft email program. Everything else seems to come back OK. Of course, if the email program isn't restoring properly, you can't just restore that one program using Activesynch. So I am forced to rebuild the entire software system program by program in order to get back to normal. This takes several hours. With an average of a hard reset a month, this seems unnecessary.

Here are my questions:

1. Would the newer version of Activesynch fix this problem?
2. Is the Sprite Backup Program more useful in these sorts of situations?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Phil Butin

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #21129 - 09/12/05 02:18 PM

Hmm... mail should be restored, so give version 3.8 of ActiveSync a try. It's a free and painless upgrade. The only thing that might not be restored is SMS messages.

That said, if you're suffering multiple hard resets, then invest in Sprite Backup. It's very fast, can be set to backup on schedule and will backup and restore email.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4934

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage