Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC General Discussion

Pages: 1
generalinq

Reged: 10/11/05
Finally...the HP rx1950
      #21363 - 10/11/05 11:11 PM

Ok folks,

Ever since HP discontinued the 4150 and came out with that ridiculous new blocky style of Pocket PC, I never forgave them. Until now.. I think.. with the introduction of that rx1950. Looks exactly the same as the review mentions on this site however why did they leave the Bluetooth out?? I pressume the only time I would think about using it would be with a bluetooth cellphone or with a bluetooth gps unit. Anyhow, it looks great and the price is affordable for what you get. Good job HP!

Anyone have any thoughts on this new unit? I'm already looking at gps add ons for it as I have always preferred the way mapping software looks on a pda rather than on an actual garmin or magellan unit. Even the GPS PDA's that garmin produces don't have all the nice features that this unit has.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Finally...the HP rx1950 [Re: generalinq]
      #21481 - 10/22/05 02:58 PM

That's right, no Bluetooth. So you'd need to get a cabled GPS or a Bluetooth SD card for the iPAQ to use GPS.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

generalinq

Re: Finally...the HP rx1950 [Re: LisaG]
      #21642 - 11/08/05 09:13 PM

Hi Lisa,

Ya I took a deeper look into it's performance and memory and I'm not too happy with the unit after all. Looks wise it's great but I'd still jump at the opp to buy a 4150 over this.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#21681 - 11/11/05 08:36 PM

While WM5 devices look bad compared to 2003SE in SpbBenchmark, it really doesn't feel that slow at all. It's the intial access of data on flash ROM that's slower and nothing else. If you can, I'd suggest playing with one first to see if you feel it's really that slow.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

generalinq

#21873 - 11/28/05 08:38 PM

Hi Lisa,

True. Would you know how it performs with any of the GPS software/hardware out there? Also, would I be able to load extra application using the expansion SD card?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#21878 - 11/28/05 11:29 PM

You can install and run applications from SD cards without a problem (the same is true of all Pocket PCs). You can also put maps for GPS mapping software on a card.

I haven't tested that model iPAQ with GPS, no.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

generalinq

#21936 - 12/04/05 01:22 PM

I took a look at the Windows Street and Trips 2006 with GPS at COSTCO yesterday. Apparently the gps that the software comes with is a USB gps originally intended for use with a laptop. Pharos actually manufactures the GPS and offers an SD version. Trying to get prices on the SD unit but this MAY appear to be the cheapest GPS solution for the rx1950 PDA. They offer a synch cable GPS also for use with the Microsoft maps but it needs to be powered via cigerette lighter adapter which take away from the portability.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6497

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage