MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Symbian and Maemo Smartphones

Pages: 1
Wayde

Reged: 09/29/05
noob question
      #21262 - 09/29/05 10:46 AM

Hi, I've been reading about these exciting new Symbian OS phones by Nokia and all the great features. However I have some misunderstandings about compatibility with US digital wireless networks. Will the Nokia N90 or the upcoming N91 be able to work in the US? Is there a close equivalent if not?

According to the Nokia website for North America in the tech specs for the N90 they actually say that the device hasn't been authorized by the FCC.

"...device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or leased, until FCC authorization is obtained."

Now is this rain on the backyard party and barbeque that it appears to be? It doesn't come right out and say ... "Hey Wayde, you can't use this thing in the US, stupid!" But, I'm begining to think that maybe that's what it means. IS that the case? Can anyone verify this?

So does the non-US compatibility of certain cell phones mean that all these G3 phones don't work in the US? Or any of these new generation of high capacity phones?

Any advice or suggested reading material would be appreciated.

thanks
Wayde

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nfinland

Reged: 09/15/05
Loc: Finland
Re: noob question [Re: Wayde]
      #21382 - 10/13/05 10:34 AM

I think this is the case - You have very different standards over there and Nokia must very often make special versions for the US market. This is propably the case with the new Eseries phones also.

Sorry I had no exact answer, but would like to quote this article that realtes to your question:

Quote:

Nokia has been strong here in Europe with its 9300 and 9500 business phones and in mobilizing corporate applications. This has not been the case in the US were Nokia launched its 9300 Communicator, the 9300 is the first non-RIM phone to connect to corporate Blackberry installations, last week (one year later than Europe). When reading Nilkas Savander between the lines during the audiocats one can predict that Cingular is the first US carrier to offer the Eseries phones, maybe not first quorter 2006 and maybe not the exact same models.

What we have here is a bunch of form factors that allow for multiple radio configurations. At this point in time we are announcing these variants. But we are working with our American customers, Cingular in particular.
Savander said during the audiocast.

When asked about the support for CDMA (the network used by Sprint and Verizon) Savander said: We have said in the past and I repeat that for us to be successful in the US we need a CDMA offering.

--------------------
Nokia User Reviews - User Reviews
Nokia News - Nokia News

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3176

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage