MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
rootdr

Reged: 08/10/05
Can you use WiFi & cellular connection at same time?
      #20827 - 08/11/05 12:09 AM

So, I really want to make the jump to a fully functional Pocket PC phone - even though I have a Mac and hate MS. A friend I know just got the Samsung i730 from Verizon and it has a fundamental flaw. You cannot have both WiFi and the cellular connections active at the same time. That means when you surf using WiFi all calls go to voicemail!! How useful is that? Rubbish! The only reason I'm not going with the Treo is because it has no Wifi, oh yeah and because the OS hasn't been updated since its introduction!!

Can anyone confirm if the Cingular Siemens SX66 can have both WiFi and cellular connection active at the same time?

Many thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blahthegreat

Reged: 08/03/05
Re: Can you use WiFi & cellular connection at same time? [Re: rootdr]
      #20849 - 08/13/05 08:15 PM

yes you can, it does not conflict each other

i can unlock your ipaq for 35.00

hi my name is john and i owned...used to own an eBay account. right now its suspended and i am trying to get it back. my account name is "blahthegreat" on www.ebay.com with over 250+ feedbacks. please contact me at vmblah@hotmail.com for more details

Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/15/05
Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Re: Can you use WiFi & cellular connection at same time? [Re: rootdr]
      #21745 - 11/18/05 02:16 PM

Quote:

So, I really want to make the jump to a fully functional Pocket PC phone - even though I have a Mac and hate MS. A friend I know just got the Samsung i730 from Verizon and it has a fundamental flaw. You cannot have both WiFi and the cellular connections active at the same time. That means when you surf using WiFi all calls go to voicemail!! How useful is that? Rubbish! The only reason I'm not going with the Treo is because it has no Wifi, oh yeah and because the OS hasn't been updated since its introduction!!

Can anyone confirm if the Cingular Siemens SX66 can have both WiFi and cellular connection active at the same time?

Verizon has a nasty habit of locking features. The latest Apache, available from Sprint, and soon from Verizon, are basically the same. The Verizon's, however, has the wi-fi and phone function locked such that it couldn't be used at the same time. This is preliminary, and we don't know if they will do that when its announced, but its Verizon we're talking about..
Many thanks.

--------------------
--
Visit my blog at xynos.blogspot.com

Edited by Julian_Suwandi (11/22/05 08:00 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Can you use WiFi & cellular connection at same time? [Re: Julian_Suwandi]
      #21942 - 12/04/05 08:53 PM

The Siemens SX66 supports simultaneous use of WiFi and cellular. The Verizon Samsung i730 is one of the few that doesn't. There is a hack to enable WiFi without disabling the cellular radio. Check out pdaphonehome.com for that hack. For the i730 + hack, keep in mind your battery level will fluctuate with both radios on and may give a false low reading because the heavy drain will temporarily reduce voltage. That may be why Verizon disabled it in the shipping version.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5329

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage