MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
mpritchard

Reged: 11/18/05
EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700
      #21750 - 11/18/05 06:05 PM

In the review for the Audiovox PPC-6700 from Sprint, Lisa Gade wrote, "There's been some confusion about the required data plan for this phone, and Sprint confirmed with us that you need only add on their $15/month Vision plan to get full data (with EVDO in covered areas) on the phone. Of course, this doesn't cover tethering the phone to a notebook as a wireless modem using a USB cable or Bluetooth. That said, the included software CD has drivers to use the phone as a wireless modem when connected via USB to a Windows PC. Since EVDO's speeds are higher than Bluetooth's, you want to use USB rather than BT should you use the phone as a modem."

I'm confused. It sounds like it is technically possible to connect my laptop to EVDO provided Internet via the PPC-6700, but there is an extra charge? Am I correct? If so, do you have know what this service is called? Sprint tech support and sales wasn't much help.

Thank you so much for your help!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/15/05
Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: mpritchard]
      #21788 - 11/22/05 07:56 AM

Bluetooth DUN is disabled on the PPC-6700 so you're out of luck, until Sprint relents. If you're planning to attach your laptop, you could do so. There won't be any extra charges, as the $15 data plan that Lisa is talking about has unlimited usage. I usually use around 500-600mb per day on my PPC-6700 and have no extra charges.

--------------------
--
Visit my blog at xynos.blogspot.com

Edited by Julian_Suwandi (11/22/05 07:58 AM)

Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

#21801 - 11/22/05 03:25 PM

Here's a link to the DUN issue.

--------------------
--

mpritchard

Reged: 11/18/05
Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: Julian_Suwandi]
      #21883 - 11/29/05 10:29 AM

So USB DUN is possible? Thank you so much for your help!

If we decide to purchase the PPC-6700 I will certainly report what I discover in real world testing.

Matt

Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

#21884 - 11/29/05 10:50 AM

PM or email me (julians at techie dot com) and I'll send you the instructions on how to make a CDMA USB Modem connection.

--------------------
--

stevewauk

Reged: 12/03/05
      #21932 - 12/03/05 11:27 PM

This is interesting. I was looking to buy a 6700 today at a corporate Sprint store, and the Asst. Mgr. there told me the 6700 doesn't support the Vision Plan at all, and told me I had to buy a $40/month EVDO plan to get Internet access from Sprint. I told him that I had read that it works with the vision plan (which I already use on my Sanyo 8100), but he swore it did not and there is no way to access the Internet through Sprint with the 6700 outside of the EVDO service. He than came back and corrected his original price estimate for EVDO to $25/mnth. From what I am seeing here and other places, he was just trying to bluff me into buying something I don't need.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: stevewauk]
      #21941 - 12/04/05 08:49 PM

The phone definitely works with Vision. Somehow sales reps seem to still get confused about that.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: LisaG]
      #22031 - 12/13/05 02:42 PM

As Lisa said, there's no reason why Sprint's Vision plan won't work. As far as I know, the $40 plan is for PC Cards to be used with laptops/notebooks.

--------------------
--

Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

#22129 - 12/23/05 08:47 AM

for those looking to tether the 6700 to the usb port on the computer, you can search in the CD for a program called wmodem. If you don't have it, I have the 6601 wmodem software that will work.

--------------------
--

dstarr

Reged: 05/21/06
      #23970 - 05/21/06 03:28 PM

Quote:

Bluetooth DUN is disabled on the PPC-6700 so you're out of luck, until Sprint relents.

Apparently, they've relented. This message is posted from my laptop, connected to my PPC-6700 via Bluetooth, using DUN (dialing #777). Network icon in the tray shows "BluetoothConnection Status" at 115.2 kbps. All other networking on the laptop is disabled: WiFi turned off; no Ethernet cable connected; 6700's USB cable disconnected; ipconfig /all shows just "PPP adapter BluetoothConnection" with a 68.27.x.x IP address - not part of my LAN.

Is this what the quoted text was referring to?

(Disclaimer: this PPC-6700 was purchased from a Sprint store on 17 May 2006, so things might've changed since this thread was started.)

thejtrain

Reged: 10/04/06
Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: dstarr]
      #25460 - 10/10/06 03:07 PM

Quote:

Apparently, they've relented. This message is posted from my laptop, connected to my PPC-6700 via Bluetooth, using DUN (dialing #777). Network icon in the tray shows "BluetoothConnection Status" at 115.2 kbps. All other networking on the laptop is disabled: WiFi turned off; no Ethernet cable connected; 6700's USB cable disconnected; ipconfig /all shows just "PPP adapter BluetoothConnection" with a 68.27.x.x IP address - not part of my LAN.

I just posted a new thread and then found this one. That speed figure sounds like 1xRTT - has anyone been able to see/experience EVDO speeds on their laptop via bluetooth DUN?

Jason

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: thejtrain]
      #25463 - 10/10/06 04:28 PM

The number your computer reporting is the Bluetooth port's negotiated speed. If both the notebook and 6700 had Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, you'd get much faster speeds. That generally means that using the USB cable rather than Bluetooth is a good idea since USB is much faster.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

thejtrain

Reged: 10/04/06
Re: EVDO on Laptop via PPC-6700 [Re: LisaG]
      #25470 - 10/10/06 09:59 PM

Quote:

The number your computer reporting is the Bluetooth port's negotiated speed. If both the notebook and 6700 had Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, you'd get much faster speeds. That generally means that using the USB cable rather than Bluetooth is a good idea since USB is much faster.

Thanks LisaG - I had a feeling when I read the other poster report the same speed as mine that it would turn out to be a device limitation. Any helpful input on the other questions I put in my other post?

Jason

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26119

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage