MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Thanksgiving Contest: We're Giving Away 3 New Palm PDAs!
      #21748 - 11/18/05 02:43 PM

To get in the holiday spirit, we're giving away two brand new Palm Z22 handhelds and a grand prize of one Palm T|X PDA. So we'll have three happy winners who won't have to hit the stores on Black Friday to search for handheld deals .

The contest will run from Nov. 18, 2005 to midnight EST Nov. 28, 2005. We can only ship to the US, so this contest is open only to US residents. We'll announce the winners promptly just after midnight and notify the winners via email.

To enter, simply reply to this thread and tell us ONE of the following:

1) Submit your favorite Thanksgiving Day recipe.

-OR-

2) Tell us about your biggest Thanksgiving fiasco.

That's it, and good luck to you all!! You must first register as a member of our forums to reply if not already registered. Registration is free and we will not sell you registration information or share it with anyone.

Read our review of the Palm Z22 here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Palm-Z22.htm

Read our review of the Palm T|X here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Palm-TX.htm

More News. . .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KevinAgot

Reged: 05/02/05
Re: Thanksgiving Contest: We're Giving Away 3 New Palm PDAs [Re: LisaG]
      #21751 - 11/18/05 10:27 PM

This is an unfortunate Thanksgiving fiasco, of sorts: I served as a missionary in the Philippines for 15 years. Thanksgiving isn't celebrated there and the cost of turkeys are exceptionally high. So, of the 15 years I lived and worked in the Philippines, I was able to celebrate only two times with ex-pats who resided there. It's good to be back in the good ol' US of A. We'll be celebrating with family the for the first time in a number of years.

Good luck to everyone entering the contest!

Edited by KevinAgot (11/18/05 11:41 PM)

abordercollie

Reged: 11/19/05
      #21757 - 11/19/05 09:53 PM

Thank you for the contest. Now the story...

Walking into the kitchen the cook could be seen (name removed to avoid havin other shoulder struck) perparing the turkey. The reason for the investigaaton was due to some heated lanuage that could be helped but over heard. The cook stood in front of the sink with one hand braced on the turkey and the other on a pair of tongs. Grunting and pulling followed. Carefully walking over wondering eyes proceeded to become watering eyes of laughter. With care to place one hand kindly on the cook's shoulder the other went into the backend of the turkey, gracefully disconnected the tongs pulled out the giblet bag and then pushed the tongs the bag was attached out the other now large hole of the the throat of the bird...

Once the cook calmed down and my shoulder stopped hurted from being struck with the hand of the cook. The turkey successfully made the oven and a while later a great dinner was had.

I hope you enjoyed the story.

macattack

Loc: The Deep South
      #21758 - 11/19/05 10:12 PM

We had family staying with us (7 folks in all) in our little 1100 sq. ft. house for Thanksgiving. We had a nice meal and were sitting around the living room watching the traditional football games. All of a sudden, I had a serious gurgle in deep in my gut, followed by a mad rush to the bathroom. (I will spare you any further details.) Over the next 24 hours, every last one of us fell, one-by-one, to the wickedness of an agressive intestinal bug.

Picture, if you will, 7 people (including two small children and a 70+ year-old woman) all blowing out of both ends, trying to find some privacy and refuge in a 1100 sq. ft. house with only two bathrooms! Unfortunately, no one was feeling very thankful.

ricktt3

Reged: 02/24/05
      #21759 - 11/20/05 07:10 AM

Wow, thank you very much for such a great contest. OK, on to the story . . . .

I was around 12 or 13, I think. We had several guests for the Thanksgiving holiday. Dad was getting ready to carve the turkey . . . wanted to sharpen the knife . . . dog runs through the kitchen, runs into Dad . . . knife slips while being sharpened . . . Dad's hand is cut real bad. Thanksgiving dinner delayed several hours for the ER visit to sew my Dad's hand back together. But . . . we were thankful that it wasn't worse. Dad said to go ahead and eat, but we wanted to wait for him and Mom to get back. The dinner was quite good when we got around to it.

neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/10/05
      #21762 - 11/20/05 02:18 PM

Well since you mentioned black Friday, I thought I'd mention that I actually worked at an electronics store for about 10 months, including one black Friday. I had to be there and 5 a.m., and there were huge lines everywhere... Besides bringing out tons of shredders from backstock, my job was to walk around telling people how great these radio pen things were, and why they needed to buy one NOW!

I'm not sure if that's a contest entry or just a remark. I'm okay with my current iPaq anyway, and besides, I'm hoping to become ineligible, because I'm going to apply to be a site editor if that offer is still open. I couldn't jump on it the first few days because I was really busy, but things are opening up now... (private e-mail to follow).

By the way, "Black Friday" was originally a positive term, referring to businesses getting "in the black" (becoming profitable) - it's not supposed to be dark and evil, even though that's what it's like for employees.

PDAluver

Reged: 05/02/05
      #21766 - 11/21/05 06:51 AM

How nice to have a Thanksgiving contest like this!

My husband and I were married in September several years ago. Since Thanksgiving soon followed our wedding, I thought it would be a good idea to have my husband's Mother and my parents over to our house for Thanksgiving. I told them that I would do all the cooking and they could just come and enjoy the day and meal with us. I got up early Thanksgiving morning and worked hard getting everything prepared. I was so proud of myself for cooking all that food and I was enjoying it because I love to cook. I put the stuffed turkey in a Reynolds roasting bag and put it in the oven, and cooked my special mashed potatoes and home grown green beans. I had prepared the brocolli casserole and sweet potato casserole the night before so all I had to do was heat them in the microwave later. My cranberry sauce was in the refrigerator as were my pumpkin pies. Everyone arrived and I had the table set and began to set the dishes of food on the table. I waited until the last minute to get the turkey out of the oven so it would stay warm and toasty. Imagine my surprise when I went to get the turkey out of the oven only to discover that I had NOT even turned the oven on!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! How embarrassing!!!! I felt so stupid! I apologized over and over and of course everyone told me that it was okay and not to worry about it. My husband ran out and got some chicken at a place that was thankfully open that day! I turned the oven on and we had the turkey that evening so all wasn't lost after all! But I'll never forget our first Thanksgiving! You'd better believe that I make darn sure that I turn the oven on each time I cook something now!!!!

bbuerger

Reged: 11/21/05
      #21768 - 11/21/05 09:09 AM

The green bean side dish is simple but the best (not so healthy though, so only have it at Thanksgiving and Christmas).

16 - 24 oz of green beans (cut to preference)
1 stick butter (or bacon drippings)
3 - 5 strips of bacon (chopped)
8 oz water chestnuts
8 oz mushrooms

1. Cook the bacon to desired tenderness and shop.
2. In a casserole dish add beans, bacon, water chestnuts, and mushrooms. Add bacon drippings if desired. Add butter slices on top of the pile in the dish to desired levels.
3. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minute increments until desired tenderness for beans and mushrooms is achieved. Can also cook at 350 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes.
4. Take out of oven and leave covered to keep steam in.

Enjoy!

craig0000

#21769 - 11/21/05 11:40 AM

Ok, here is the best Thanksgiving story in the world.....

A female friend of mine got married in the Spring a couple of years ago. She wasn't a very good cook. In fact, a can of soup, or a TV dinner was the extent of her cooking ability. Her husband knew this before they got married, but cooking was not what he married her for. However, on Thanksgiving they thought that since this was there first big family holiday they would invite the family over to their new home for the big Thanksgiving dinner.

She had the house all cleaned up, and bought a huge turkey so there would be enough to feed the whole family. They had all the trimmings like sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, etc... She was up early in the morning and prepared the turkey for it's long day in the oven. During the preparation she made sure that she did everything as oulined in a cook book she bought just for the occasion. Once the bird was ready she cranked up the oven, and inserted the bird.

As morning turned to afternoon the whole family showed up at their house. The smell of turkey roamed through their home, while football was playing on the TV. A few hours into the cooking process she went to open the oven to check on the turkey and realized that when she put the bird into the oven she flipped the little handle on the oven that sent it into the "self-clean mode". Once you set this option on the stove you weren't able to undo this setting until the process completed.

So there sat the whole family on thier first Thanksgiving together watching the bird cook, and cook, and cook, and cook, well you get the idea. There was no way to get the bird out without ruining the oven so they had to let the oven cleaning process run it's course. The turkey ended up as black as a night with no stars, so the whole family eneded up having to go out for dinner.

She has never lived this down, and I'm sure we will devil her about this for many years to come. It would be ironic if this story wins the contest since at least there would be one good thing that came out of this Thanksgiving story. I would probably give her the PDA, but would include a PALM cookbook piece of software on it :>)

Craig

neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/10/05
Re: Thanksgiving Contest: We're Giving Away 3 New Palm PDAs [Re: craig0000]
      #21771 - 11/21/05 11:50 AM

Hmm... only one post, and it's a common problem too... but I guess I'm still convinced that it's true.

nahum

#21772 - 11/21/05 11:54 AM

[edited to input better paragraph spacing for readability-sake]
There once was a Thanksgiving story by O'Henry about a guy (a homeless person) who starves every other day of the year. Come Thanksgiving, it appeared as though every family wanted to do a service by providing a nice meal to him and inviting him to their family meal. Meal after meal of overstuffing him eventually led to his death, ironically.

Ok, enough with the depressants... Anyhow, one year during my college tenure, I was reminded of this story (and briefly frightened by it). Overwhelmingly, I had a total of three meals planned that Thanksgiving. Sounded wonderful- I'm such a fan of the turkey.

So the meals were planned accordingly: noon, the first meal- I would pace myself, trying to slightly expand my stomach for the next two events. Following, I would eat a very small amount the second meal; this in order to save room for the big bonanza- a huge gathering where food is always overly overabundant. I had thought this would be sufficient to put me in a food coma for the entire next day.

However, things don't always come out the way you plan them. Apparently, during said Day of Thanks, I was invited last minute to a pre-party before my noon event. That was fine- I decided to just scoop a small plate- maybe a couple spoonfulls of mashed potatos (you never can get enough 'taters), and a chunk of turkey followed by a sliver of ham. That would put me over, I thought, but nonetheless I succumbed.

I then proceeded to stop A: we'll call it the 'Nooner'. I started feeling a little full, so I slowed down a bit to pace myself. That done, I was about to head out to rest for my previously planned second event. Went there- done that. Worked as planned. Still a little more full than I expected. Apparently, I got mixed up with the wrong crowd (ok, not really, just some family of a friend, and they decided to invite me for another 'quick bite'. I told them my predicament- and of course, they insisted. ("Would you like some cheese with that whine?" was their remark). *sigh* Was I a glutton for punishment or just a glutton in general- (at the time, I had no idea it was so evil, either way. But on any note, I digress...).

So took another detour until my final destination. I think I was already ballooning a bit (read: belt loosened one buckle), when I would get up too fast I would slightly go dizzy, and took more pitstops to the outhouse than my Chinese buddy ate dim sum chicken legs that day *shiver* . Nonetheless, have you ever been so full that your fingers hurt? Sounds crazy, but I kid you not- I thought I was done for. Well, praise God I'm still here and I think I only gained two stretch marks...that...are still ...visible...today........ but anyway, I made it.

I'm still a huge Thanksgiving Day fan, but you might as well not expect me to crash your party.

jamesbe2759

#21776 - 11/21/05 05:00 PM

My contest entry is the most favorite Thanksgiving receipe (actually it's best the day after). Also my most favorite receipe for New Year's Day, The Day after Superbowl, The Day after a Tailgate Party, the Day after a Friends Wedding, the Day after etc., etc):

2 ea. tablets AlkaSelser
2 ea. any brand Aspirin
Take aspirin with AlkaSelser, lay down and rest 1/2 hr or after hands stop shaking. Mix the following solution:

64 oz. Any brand beer (NOT 3.2%)
8 oz. Any brand Tomato Juice
1/2 oz. Tabasco Sauce
1 pinch Salt & Pepper
1/2 oz. Lemon Juice
Mix ingrediants and drink it all within 15 minutes. If desired effect isn't felt within 1/2 hour, repeat the above solution until the desired effect is felt.

NOTE: The author is not responsible for adverse reactions or accidents/incidents resulting from the use of this receipe.

joe_winner

Reged: 11/23/05
Loc: Williamsburg, Va
Re: Thanksgiving Contest: We're Giving Away 3 New Palm PDAs! [Re: LisaG]
      #21826 - 11/23/05 08:46 PM

This is a great dish. I have made for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the last 2 years since finding it, and everyone who tries it loves it.

Pineapple Casserole

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups grated sharp cheddar
2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved
1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

sonton

Reged: 11/24/05
      #21828 - 11/24/05 01:45 AM

Turkey Chili Nachos
In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Stir in turkey, breaking up with spoon; cook until no longer pink. Stir in onion, garlic, oregano, chili powder and cumin; cook until onion is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in black beans and tomato sauce; simmer until heated through. Place corn tortillas onto large baking sheet, spoon turkey chili over top. Sprinkle with peppers and olives, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425?F (220?C) about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with guacamole and sour cream.
Makes 6 servings.
cheers!

TomJones

#21833 - 11/25/05 02:18 AM

Ok, my Thanksgiving Day treat is easy (I'm a geo-bachelor at the moment, so it's gotta be!) and a nice complement to all those great dishes.

5 cup salad.

1 cup of mini marshmellows
1 cup of pineapple chunks (drained)
1 cup of madarine oranges (drained)
1 cup of shredded coconut
1 cup of sour cream
(and you can also add 1 cup of walnut pieces too)

combine all 5, mix together and put in the fridge. serve chilled.

easy, inexpensive and delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Tom

neneelynn

Reged: 11/25/05
      #21837 - 11/25/05 09:09 PM

My favorite thanksgiving resipe is:
for Chocolate Peanut-Banana Pie:
11 sheets chocolate graham squares
1 ripe banana (1.4oz each fat-free sugar free instant chocolate pudding
2 3/4 cup fat free milk
2 Tbs. reduced fat peanut butter
1 cup fat free whipped topping
banana slices and peanuts are optional
Coat a 9" pie dish with nonstick cooking spray. In food processor puree' graham crackers until crumbs form.Add banana and puree until well combined. Press crumb mixture into bottom of prepared dish. In large mixing bowl with electric mixer set at low mix pudding mix, milk and peanut butter until combined, 2 minutes. Pour immediately into crust. Chill 3 hours or until set. Dollop whipped topping on top. Garnish with banana slices and peanuts if desired.

MightyMike

Reged: 11/26/05
      #21839 - 11/26/05 08:52 AM

Recipe: Goop (a Thanksgiving dessert)

1 bunch of seedless green grapes (cut each grape in half)
1 bunch of seedless purple grapes (cut each grape in half)
1 large can of mandarin oranges (drained)
1 large can of crushed or tiblet pineapple (well-drained)
1 small bottle of marchino cherries (well-drained)
a couple of handfulls of marshmallows
3-4 sliced bananas
1 large container of whipping cream
1-2 heaping tablespoons of powdered sugar
one capful of vanilla extract

whip up the whipping cream in a very cold bowl (not plastic)
add the vanilla
add the powdered sugar until the mixture becomes a little thicker
mix the fruit into the whipped cream mixture

serve cold

PalmNana

Reged: 11/26/05
      #21841 - 11/26/05 01:24 PM

One Thanksgiving about 20 years ago, I had made some homemade biscuits with the meal. I had an old rolling pin that was handed down to me from my mother, which I used when making my biscuits. We were eating that day and my husband took a bite out of a biscuit and quickly spit something out. There on his plate was a ball bearing that had come out of the biscuit! I guess when I was rolling out the dough, a ball bearing came out of the old rolling pin without my noticing it, and I mixed it up in with the dough! Needless to say, I retired that old rolling pin that year! It's a wonder that my husband didn't break a tooth on that ball bearing or swallow it! The rest of the meal was great but we'll never forget that Thanksgiving and my "ball bearing biscuits"!

static_pulse

Reged: 11/27/05
      #21845 - 11/27/05 01:52 PM

My favorite thanksgiving dinner recipe:

Baked Yams:
23-oz. can sweet potatoes (we use fresh yams)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup well-drained pineapple
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup almonds (we use pecans)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut up yam into inch-thick sections. In small bowl, mix brown sugar, pineapple, raisins, and salt. Place yams into 1-quart casserole. Spread fruit mixture over top; dot with margarine and almonds (pecans). Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes. 6 Servings.

AC0CL

Reged: 11/28/05
      #21865 - 11/28/05 03:49 PM

Baked Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 6

2 butternut squash (1 lb. each), peeled, seeds removed and chunked
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 cans chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 teaspoons honey
? teaspoon cinnamon
? teaspoon nutmeg
? teaspoon allspice
? teaspoon ground ginger
? teaspoon ground pepper
? teaspoon salt

1. Place the squash, carrots & onions in a large roasting pan or casserole.
2. Sprinkle evenly with the spices and the honey.
3. Pour the broth over all.
4. Cover with foil and bake in a 400˚ oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until vegetables are fork tender.
5. Cool slightly (Do not blend hot soup. It can expand in the blender container and burn your hands.)
6. Puree soup in blender until smooth.
7. Reheat gently to serve.

They're Delicious!
Good luck!

AC0CL(www.qrz.com)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28775

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage