Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
Dan_42
veteran

Reged: 08/27/04
Loc: Shenzhen, China
Palm OS dead?
      #22415 - 01/25/06 04:17 AM

Honestly, I'm not trying to start a flame war!!!

I love my Palm T3, and I love the simplicity, quickness and ease of use of the Palm OS. The amount of 3rd party software out there and what it all does (in terms of added functionality) is amazing. I'm really satisfied with all that I'm able to do with my Palm now; between bluetooth and the wi-fi card, battery sled and bluetooth keyboard, it meets all of my portable PDA/PC needs. Barring theft or serious damage to it, I'll be using that pretty much as long as it can last me.

But despite having a workable PDA in hand, the latest and greatest devices are always of interest to me...(since one day, when they're discounted, I might be in a position to get one...)

Pocket PC's (windows mobile products) are looking increasingly intriguing to me, not least because of the extra variety of "all-in-one" communicator packages offered.

Anyway - what prompted this post was a pronuncement of a similar nature by Eldar on Mobile-review.com in his forecast for PDA's and communicators for 2006.

I can see his point; many (myself included) have noted that Palm OS 5 is looking a little dated; if nothing else it's due for at least a facelift and an "under the hood" modification to allow for real multitasking.

Also, it seems like a lot of (good) Palm software has been discounted lately - has that all been Christmas specials or are developers trying to max out on what they can get for OS5 level apps?

What concerns me is that there's been very very little in the way of rumors or news concerning Palm on Linux as of late...that is (was?) supposed to be the next step in the evolution of Palm OS; is there in fact nothing happening there? All of Palm's news seems to be about its Windows Mobile products...

I'm a little bummed out that the most innovative part of Palm's product lineup for 2006 so far appears to be just its treo 700...

Is there anything going on in the Palm world that could be a source of hope for a Palm fan? (not to be overly melodramatic about it...). The fact that there are NO rumors or leaked photos of devices using Palm on Linux is a bit worrying.

I'm living in china at present, so perhaps my perspective is off a bit - Palm products are under-represented compared to in North America (probably in no small part due to their non-existant mainland China support...CKJOS is great for what it does, but I don't think that localization solution + Palm OS alone is enough to win over a significant percentage of smartphone users in China - Pocket PC phones, however, seem to have carved a niche for themselves)...

So - again - is there any "good" news out there concerning development for the next generation of Palm devices and the next phase in evolution of the Palm OS?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/15/05
Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Re: Palm OS dead? [Re: Dan_42]
      #22422 - 01/25/06 01:35 PM

Announcements on Palm OS' death has been done before. Many analysts declared it dead when Microsoft first came out with its WinCE. Yet years after that, Palm OS is still the simplest to use PDA and Palm itself reassured their followers that they're still supporting Palm OS, coming up with the Z22 and the TX. The TX, I can tell you, is an amazing machine and no PPC can hold a candle to it at that price range. The TX is also unbelievably stable so it seems that Palm has learnt its lessons from the LifeDrive. I use Chatter everyday at home to get push email, and it works real great. I can't even find push email softwares for the WM 5.0, and the only thing I hear about is to wait for Microsoft to release their AKU 2, which enables push email with the MS Exchange SP2.

So don't count them out yet.

--------------------
--
Visit my blog at xynos.blogspot.com

Dan_42
veteran

Re: Palm OS dead? [Re: Julian_Suwandi]
      #22425 - 01/25/06 07:49 PM

Thanks for that info! It's good to hear...

BTW - cool that you're from the Twin Cities!!! (That's where I'm from, but I'm living in China for work now. Small world?)

Julian_Suwandi
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/15/05
Loc: Twin Cities, MN
      #22441 - 01/26/06 05:07 PM

I used to work at S.E Asia, Singapore and Sydney actually. I've always wanted to go China but I suck at Mandarin (trying to pick it up now in the Twin Cities and am having a tough time finding a teacher!) so I never had the chance to go. How long have you been there?

--------------------
--
Visit my blog at xynos.blogspot.com

Dan_42
veteran

Re: Palm OS dead? [Re: Julian_Suwandi]
      #22442 - 01/26/06 07:50 PM

I've been living there for over 4 years now. It's been going pretty well.

I studied abroad in Beijing for 1 year, and that really did a lot in terms of helping me learn the language. If you can spare at least 1 semester's worth of time to just immerse yourself in it, you should be able to see a lot of improvement.

kayen

Reged: 09/30/03
      #24614 - 07/23/06 01:05 PM

Quote:

I love my Palm T3, and I love the simplicity, quickness and ease of use of the Palm OS.

I can see his point; many (myself included) have noted that Palm OS 5 is looking a little dated; if nothing else it's due for at least a facelift and an "under the hood" modification to allow for real multitasking.

Palm OS isn't just dated, it's dead, moribund. Years and years have gone by and they can't even get the next version out. Add to that Palm's appalling support and there is no reason to waste money on their products.

Pity the T3s had buggy digitizers that couldn't be calibrated properly.

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Palm OS dead? [Re: kayen]
      #24621 - 07/24/06 01:15 AM

Quote:

Palm OS isn't just dated, it's dead, moribund. Years and years have gone by and they can't even get the next version out. Add to that Palm's appalling support and there is no reason to waste money on their products.

I could say the same about Microsoft...

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14855

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage