MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1

Reged: 02/11/06
Baseball scorekeeper app for pda
      #22631 - 02/11/06 02:29 AM

For the last 2 years, I've been using a Palm m515 pda to score my son's baseball games with an app called Scorekeeper. In the course of a game, I'll make 3 to 10 separate entries per pitch with at least 500 entries per game. My m515 could do 2 games per day on an overnight charge as long as I turned off the screen backlight. Alas, the m515 is on its last chip, frequently doing a hard reset on its own. Fortunately, all my data is backed up, but I can't have that happen mid-game.

I'm considering a Palm t/x or a 650 Smartphone. (Scorekeeper requires a Palm OS.) Other than reduced size, what advantage does the t/x hold over the 650? If it's price, I can get the 650 for $300 from Verizon if I renew my existing account. I just don't know if a Smartphone is set up for this kind of use. Can its backlight be turned off and yet still be seen in sunlight? With the 515, even without backlight, the screen was easily visible with sunlight directly on it.

Any thoughts from anyone will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Baseball scorekeeper app for pda [Re: rgg55]
      #22897 - 03/04/06 11:18 PM

The T|X has a large, higher resolution display than the Treo. It really comes down to whether you want a device with a phone in it or not. You can turn the backlight all the way down on each and I'd say they do equally well outdoors with the backlight off (not the greatest but it works).

Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

PDA Addict

Reged: 11/15/05
Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Re: Baseball scorekeeper app for pda [Re: LisaG]
      #22904 - 03/05/06 02:26 AM

tx takes larger sd cards, have better resolution and has wi-fi and bluetooth. it can be paired with a bluetooth phone if u need connectivity. the treo is the swiss army knife of communication. it has the phone, 1xrtt speeds, and runs palm apps. if u need wi-fi, u need to get a sled for it.

Visit my blog at

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4366

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at | Privacy statement Go to homepage