MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
FlipFlop

Reged: 03/07/06
Looking for a Flip
      #22940 - 03/07/06 12:21 AM

My trusty old Kyocera 7350 is starting to act up (it's been dropped way too many times over the years) and I've been looking for a new phone.

First and foremost, it MUST be a flip. I have sworn I would never go back to a candy-bar or anything else that can dial out if not locked, or has not a clear visual indication of being OFF (like a closed flip.) So the Treo is out.

At the same time, I would love to have both Bluetooth (for in-car) and Wi-Fi (for browsing email when overseas, or using Skype.) Would love to continue using Vindigo and a few other apps that I've gotten used to. And of course stylus (or fingernail) input.

Is there anything like this available that I have missed, or on the horizon?

Or should I just go for a RAZ 3v and call the smart-phone thing quits.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Looking for a Flip [Re: FlipFlop]
      #23017 - 03/12/06 11:55 PM

WiFi is still fairly rare in smartphones (the kind that look and feel like a traditional phone) but is common in PDA phones. But that rules out the flip. The T-Mobile SDA reviewed on our site is currently the only smartphone with WiFi and it's a candybar. Very nice phone though! And it has Blueooth as well.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

FlipFlop

Reged: 03/07/06
Re: Looking for a Flip [Re: LisaG]
      #23091 - 03/20/06 09:48 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed the Samsung i730. It has a retractable keypad, which can apparently be set so that the phone is not operational when the keypad is retracted. This would address the "lock" issue and it would provide a clear visual indication of the phone being off and locked. Unfortunately, it is not a GSM model.

Anything else with a similarly retractable pad which can be set to lock the phone when closed?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Looking for a Flip [Re: FlipFlop]
      #23092 - 03/20/06 10:02 PM

That's one of Samsung's nice little touches. I can't think of a GSM device that offers it, offhand. However, on recent PDA phone models, there is an option to only allow the device to turn on when the power button is pressed.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Tornell

Reged: 03/21/06
Re: Looking for a Flip [Re: LisaG]
      #23104 - 03/21/06 10:49 AM

I am stuck with a Qtek Pocket PC (what a terrible experience) and need to go back to Palm. I am a little reluctant to buy the Treo 650 though, since it is getting old. Do you know if there is a new Treo Palm OS in the pipeline, and in that case, when would it be due?

Carl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3875

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage