MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1

Reged: 03/01/06
Is what I need a PDA?
      #23056 - 03/16/06 08:54 PM

I am in need of a new organizer/notebook/computer thing. I usually keep a calendar in Outlook on my PC, but I really need to access it constantly. I type -- not sure I can do the graffiti thing, and I like my husband's Palm TX but without a keyboard I'm lost. A mostly need something to allow me to take notes in meetings, keep a calendar, and play bejeweled (kidding about the last part, but I'm an addict). I'd really like to keep the cost below $200 if that's possible -- and hopefully the fact that I don't need wireless/phone connectivity with it will help keep the cost down. Any suggestions? I haven't researched which devices allow for real keyboards (I had a Nokia phone w/a keyboard, but I'm no good w/the thumb-typing thing). Any ideas? (I've thought about a cheap laptop, but would really prefer something small as I already carry a gazillion backpack/bags for the kids...) Doesn't have to be the size of a regular PDA, but smaller than a laptop would be great. Thanks very much. Monica

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Is what I need a PDA? [Re: mcaren]
      #23082 - 03/19/06 11:52 PM

Well, I'm addicted to Bejeweled too, and you can get it for both Palm and Pocket PC PDAs .

How about either the Palm Tungsten E2:

The HP iPAQ 1950:

Both of these are entry level PDAs under $250 and are quite nice.

Combine either of these with a folding wireless keyboard(either IR or Bluetooth) and you're set. We have reviews of several keyboards here:

Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Reged: 03/21/06
Re: Is what I need a PDA? [Re: mcaren]
      #23103 - 03/21/06 10:44 AM

I used Palms for a long time until my job gave me a QTEK which is a very advanced PDA with Pocket PC. This is absolutely crap! This is best witnessed by the fact that although I have used Palms for many years I don't use my PDA anymore for tasks other than the Phone and the Calendar. I am now looking to get back to Palm, but I am a little concerned buying the Treo 650, since it is getting old. Does anybody know about a new version coming up? In terms of operating systems: always go for Palm OS. It is simply light years better than Pocket PC.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3355

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at | Privacy statement Go to homepage