Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Sony Clie

Pages: 1
timothybronson

Reged: 01/14/03
Loc: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
T665 to Motorola V120e
      #2357 - 03/14/03 06:54 AM

I have a thesupplynet cable to connect my T665 and my V120c... but the V120c went to the Big Cell Phone Rodeo In The Sky. It was replaced with a Motorola V120e, which is nearly identical. Unfortunately, the V120e is having trouble connecting my Sony to the outisde world-- it won't establish a connection, which the Motorola people tell me is due to the phone's design as 1X (data).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my appliances to start talking again? Counselling, perhaps?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: T665 to Motorola V120e [Re: timothybronson]
      #2358 - 03/17/03 10:23 AM

Fun with phones, not [Wink] Most of the 1xRTT phones can do both 1xRTT and fallback to "normal" operation. I'd think the 120e could do both, but then I don't have one.

Looking at thesuplynet.com's site, I only see a cable listed for the 120C, and not the 120e- have you contacted them to make sure the pinout is the same for both phones?

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

timothybronson

Re: T665 to Motorola V120e [Re: LisaG]
      #2359 - 03/17/03 05:44 PM

... Here's what thesupplynet.com had to say:

"How long ago did you purchase this cable?? We has an issue with the 120e where it was not the same software as the 120c and did not work.

We have taken that phone off our website due to this problem. We might have taken it off after your purchase. If you have not changed your settings at all from when you had the other phone then it should work with no other modifications.

This is an issue for Motorola but first contact your cell carrier, they might have a work around that we are not aware of."

... And this is what Motorola had to say:

"The main difference between the V.120c and V.120e is, the V.120e is 1X capable. At this time, we do not offer a data cable for the V.120e that will allow you to connect to a PDA. We do not have information if this type of data cable will be offered in the future. You may wish to contact the dealer you purchased the data cable from to determine if a cable is available for the V.120e."

... So, no luck so far. Any idea what the 1X feature is for? Is it there just to make the phone backwards-incompatible with other hardware?

Fun with phones, indeed! [Mad]

Tim

LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: T665 to Motorola V120e [Re: timothybronson]
      #2360 - 03/17/03 07:10 PM

That's a shame [Frown] 1xRTT is actually a wonderful thing (as long as it doesn't enter into domestic strife with your PDA). It's one of the many techie names for the Verizon Express Network service. This is a data service that's capable of between 60 to 90k average data throughput (faster than a 56k modem). I use the AirCard 555 from Verizon, and it can fall back to 'standard' mode when no high speed (1xRTT) network is available, or because I just want to dial up my ISP rather than using Verizon for my ISP.

Generally, phones and comms devices that run on the 1xRTT network should come with data solutions for laptops and PDAs, though it seems right now, the Moto phones come with an optional data cable for notebook connections, but not PDAs. That doesn't mean it isn't possible to use a PDA with the 1xRTT network (I use the AirCard with an iPAQ). However, to use this service, you would have to switch over to the Express Network plan (not cheap) and find a phone for which there is an available PDA cable.

It seems that either pinout or resistors have changed on the 120e, or there is indeed a settings bug on the phone.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

timothybronson

Re: T665 to Motorola V120e [Re: LisaG]
      #2361 - 03/18/03 09:23 AM

It looks like you and Motorola support are on the same page, LisaG... Here's the final word from them:

"1X is the newest CDMA technology that supports between 1.5 and 2 times the number of voice channels as a standard CDMA system as well as 144-Kbps packet-data services. 1X is network dependant and may not be available in all areas.

There is not a way to modify or upgrade the phone to allow it to connect to a PDA. Besides purchasing a data cable to support this capability, it will also depend on the appropriate drivers installed into the PDA. Our Data Support Group as informed me that currently the PDAs are not installed with drivers that support 1X. You may wish to contact your PDA manufacturer when this may become available."

Thanks for all your help, though! Soon, my Clie and I will be back online, I'm sure....

Tim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5372

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage