Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
kgj

Reged: 05/07/06
compatible replacement for iiix?
      #23795 - 05/07/06 04:49 PM

hi folks,
i'm new to this site & am very happy to have "discovered" it. seems like the exact place that can point me in the right direction. here's my dilemma:

i have 90 eclipse (uses OBD-I)& a palm IIIx which i use for a datalogger. i have datalogging software (mmcd) loaded in the palm & i love it. recently though i have been rethinking my whole car stereo & electronics setup.

i was thinking of getting rid of my multidisc cd-changer & getting a stereo receiver that plays mp3 files or an ipod music file via an external input. then i got to thinking, "why not swap out my pda too with one that can do both datalogging & play mp3 files"? my goal is to have a pda with (mmcd) datalogger loaded on it that i could also plug into my (car) stereo receiver to listen to the stored mp3 files. is this do-able??

i have researched pricegrabber (& similar sites) for pda's which also handle mp3 files. the list i saw from those searches did not match this list of pdas which can operate the datalogging software: http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/#Palm%20Support

this datalogging software is for OBD-I vehicles. my palm IIIx can easily handle that, but it can not play mp3 files. i want to believe there does exist at least ONE pda that can host mmcd, play mp3 files & communicate with OBD-I ecu's. it seems the tungsten w is the most recent model on that software compatibility list. i read the review of the tungsten w on this site (great article!), but i can not find the exact info i need on it which is: will it fit the same hot sync cradle as my IIIx?

does anyone know if if the tungsten w is compatible with IIIx accessories? or is there is a palm or some other pda that will has all 3 capabilities (datalog, mp3 player & serial communications)? please help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: compatible replacement for iiix? [Re: kgj]
      #23797 - 05/07/06 07:04 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately, you are correct - judging from the link you provided, there are no Palm OS 5 devices that are compatible with the datalogging system, and for the actual Palm brand, anything older than OS 5 has absolutely no chance of being a usable music player.

There is actually one Clie on the "compatible" list which is not OS 5, but has special additions so that it can play back MP3s. However, not only are all Clies discontinued in the US, but this particular model was gone for quite a while even before that. If you're certain that this is what you want, you'll probably have to get a used one of those (there are used ones available at that link). You can pretty much expect that future (and even current) software for Palm OS, as well as Windows software for working with Palms, will completely neglect that Clie, since it's "ancient history."

You will also have to find a car stereo that accepts a standard 3.5 mm headphone minijack as input, since the only audio output port that that Clie has is a headphone jack (which also isn't the highest quality). Many iPod docks and cars use the iPod's Dock Connector, and there is even a product like that for Palms with the Multi-Connector.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

kgj

Re: compatible replacement for iiix? [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #23800 - 05/07/06 11:48 PM

thanks for replying jacob. i'm not that concerned with the OS - that can be changed right?

i'm pretty confident i can find any of the older palm pda's so this is not a "big" concern. the clie model that you mentioned, does it fit the same hotcync cradle as the palm iiix? also what about the tungsten w? do you know if that palm will fit the palm iiix hotsync cradle?

i also can get the stereo jack no problem. matter of fact, i already have most of those types of connecters already.

Edited by kgj (05/08/06 08:45 AM)

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

#23805 - 05/08/06 08:51 AM

No, unfortunately, no pre-OS 5 devices can be upgraded to OS 5, because OS 5 runs on a completely different type of CPU.

Most Palms in the III line (IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, etc.) used the same connector, but that connector is not present on any other handheld. Sony has never used any of the same connectors as Palm, although most Clies all use the same connector. The T|W has a Universal Connector, which, despite its name, is not really compatible with any of the other models mentioned.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

kgj

#23814 - 05/08/06 03:29 PM

the tungsten w does not run os5 but i thought it has mp3 playing capability?? are you saying it does not?

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

#23819 - 05/08/06 08:28 PM

The Tungsten|W cannot play MP3s. Only OS 5 devices use an architecture fast enough to support MP3 decoding, with the exception that some older, pre-OS 5 Sony models (like the one linked above) were basically a Palm and an MP3 player combined into one device.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

kgj

#23844 - 05/11/06 01:33 AM

Quote:

The Tungsten|W cannot play MP3s. Only OS 5 devices use an architecture fast enough to support MP3 decoding, with the exception that some older, pre-OS 5 Sony models (like the one linked above) were basically a Palm and an MP3 player combined into one device.

ok. thanks.. the search continues...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14129

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage