MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Jack B Nimble

Reged: 06/03/03
Loc: California
Switching to smartphone, want a browser + email
      #24801 - 08/08/06 06:40 AM

Okay, I am finally a bit tired of carrying mutliple devices and, more to the point, I really want web and email access wherever I am. So I am looking for my first Smartphone. I did look at pairing the Nokia 770 with my current phone, but the lack of a keyboard takes it out of the running for me.

I admit I am biased against MS, mostly because when I have looked at them (and I even used an HPC at one point), it was confusing if the software I wanted would work with the device I was looking at (CE.Net, Phone edition, etc.). I am currently using Cingular, and it would be easiest to stay with them, tho I have considered a switch to T-Mobile.

My current PDA use is mostly offline browsing, with some ebooks (both iSilo), a few games and very simple PIM. I don't figure I need the offline browsing so much if I have mobile access, but I would still like access to a good ebook reader. I expect to do a fair amount of browsing so the browser needs to be good and reasonably fast, with at least basic javascript, and I want to do some email (Yahoo and Gmail accounts). I don't mind going with an unpopular solution (past PDAs have included Psion Series 7, HandEra, and my current one is a Tapwave), as long as the software I need is available. I do need a decent keyboard and document/text editor. I used to do lots of document writing/editing while mobile (Psion, RIP), and I miss that ability -- though I don't expect to find another Psion keyboard these days. I do NOT need a camera or video/music player.

I have looked at the Blackberry 8700, the Sidekick 3, the Nokia E61, the MDA/Cingular 8125 and the upcoming Ogo. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. The SK and the Ogo don't seem to have document editing or ebooks, which seems to toss them right out. I have heard mixed reviews on the browsers for each of the remaining. Also, the joystick and interface for the E61 seems to be getting mixed reviews, the Windows interface always gets mixed reviews, and the 8700 lacks both a media slot and WiFi, limiting my ebooks and document portability.

Not essential, but if my new toy were to play nicely with my Mac, even better. If not, I still keep a Windows machine for gaming.

So, what am I missing? Any other devices I should be considering? Any feedback on the 8700, E61 or the MDA? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jack

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Switching to smartphone, want a browser + email [Re: Jack B Nimble]
      #24846 - 08/11/06 03:57 PM

There's the Treo 650 which can handle the things you mentioned and syncs with the Mac.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

timh

Reged: 01/04/07
Re: Switching to smartphone, want a browser + email [Re: Jack B Nimble]
      #26386 - 01/04/07 07:48 PM

Hey jack, seems like we're both looking for the same thing...
Did you buy a pda yet, if so how's it going?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

tim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3236

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage