MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
totalmoron

Reged: 08/12/06
I'm an idiot....TECH SUPPORT PLEEEEAAASE
      #24849 - 08/12/06 02:13 AM

Hi there, I recently bought the cingular 8125 and I owe a lot of thanks to this site for their excellent reviews. AAAAANYWAY, I just wanted to first point out I'm a computer illiterate moron, and I need some help.

I bought a mini-sd and decided to move some of my files over to it to free up memory on my pc. Yeah, well, someone should tell idiots like me that you can't move program files and other important files to the memory card with out totally [censored] up your newly purchased pocket pc. So now I can't access anything. My start menu consists of nothing, and I have no idea how to reset the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#1 idiot

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: I'm an idiot....TECH SUPPORT PLEEEEAAASE [Re: totalmoron]
      #24863 - 08/12/06 04:43 PM

Hello,

If your Start Menu has become messed up to the point that you can't access any programs, I recommend that you connect the device to your PC and use the "Explore" option to mount it like a drive (it's actually called "Mount" in The Missing Sync for Mac OS X).

Place a program into \Windows\StartUp\ - for example, a free file browser like GSFinder, or a copy of your backup program, if you have already used one. Poke the reset pin, and your program will run on the next startup.

If you have a backup, just restore it. If you have to go the file manager route, you will basically need to create shortcuts for your programs and place them in \Windows\Start Menu\ and/or \Windows\Start menu\Programs\. Most file browsers, including GSFinder, allow you to create shortcuts by tap-and-holding on a program (or other file) and then tap-and-holding on a blank area somewhere else and choosing "Paste Shortcut." (This is pretty similar to XP, I think.)

You may be able to recreate the shortcuts directly from your desktop when you are "Exploring" - I just know that this doesn't work for me because Mac OS X aliases and Windows-style shortcuts do not understand each other. However, it's possible that Windows XP shortcuts and Windows Mobile shortcuts do.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3251

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage