General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: shrubbysteve]
      #28486 - 09/07/07 11:52 PM

I would check all the air vents for dust bunny accumulation.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
musix88

Reged: 11/22/07
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: CorbieD]
      #29064 - 11/22/07 06:09 PM

So I have a relatively new Macbook that has been working fine. This morning, it seemed to freeze up, so I restarted it by (gasp) holding down the power key. When it tried to restart, after the apple screen this file folder with a big question mark on it started flashing. Does anyone know what that means or how I can start up my computer? Is this a huge issue?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: musix88]
      #29065 - 11/22/07 06:33 PM

It sounds like it can't find a necessary OS file (the file(s) might be corrupted). Boot from the OS X system DVD that can with the MacBook and try running Disk Utility from the DVD. It might be able to repair the disk without having to re-install the OS.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

svea

Reged: 11/24/07
Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: LisaG]
      #29068 - 11/24/07 04:00 AM

Hello fellow apple consumers!

I've had plenty of problems with my macbooks -- but mostly with my first one, which Apple finally replaced for me. Now, just 6 months later, I'm having problems with this one!

Today my computer started showing a column of pixilization down the centre of the screen. Adjusting the display settings has done nothing, and neither has restarting. I don't have the Apple Care Plan, but I realize this may be a serious problem. Anybody got any suggestions?

THANK you,
Svea

macurantti

Reged: 12/10/07
      #29191 - 12/10/07 12:07 PM

Hi,

I?ve purchased my macbook three weeks ago and started to used it right away(nothing could?ve stopped me from doing it) but last week I suddenly had a problem with it. When I turned my macbook on it opened Set Up Assistant(as it does when opened first time)...I wrote all the information once again there and when finished it just jumped back to the start of the Set Up Assistant. I couldn?t get anywhere from that. I needed to install the Leopard all over to get it working. I noticed that there was a quite a lot stuff saved in desktop so could that have caused the problem and I think I?m going to return the macbook to the store to be replaced. Is that saving to the desktop thing that crucial?

Thanks,

Karre A.

djckay

Reged: 12/18/07
      #29248 - 12/18/07 03:26 PM

Hey, I'm having problem logging into my main profile after I switch on my MacBook. I know my password but after I type it and click enter, it just loads up the profile (after a few minutes) then reverts back to the start up screen. At the moment I'm using my "friends" profile with no problems.

I've got all my pictures, music, etc.....but can't use them because its not letting me use my main profile?

Anybody had the same problem? Anybody know what I should do?

1. Basically I switch on my MacBook.

2. Then it loads up to the start-up profile option screen (I have two profiles, my main one that I always use, and my "friends" profile.

3. I click on my main profile and type in the password.

4. Then it takes about a minute to load up the profile.

5. Before I can do anything, the main screen turns green and I'm back to step 2!

There's no error messages and there's no programs that launch on start-up. I can't understand why its doing it.

I recently upgraded from tiger to leopard and this problem started roughly about 2 weeks later.

pittNash

Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Mexico
Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: shrubbysteve]
      #29289 - 12/27/07 04:18 AM

Hi,

I bought a MacBook 2 weeks ago and unfortunately some troubles have come up. To start with, for no reason it suddenly shutdown completeley after two hours of use. It wasn't that hot, I mean, compared to other notebooks I've had. So I pay little attention to it. But yesterday while I was trying to upload an image to an email on my hotmail account, it started making a very annoying noise. It sounded like that PowerPoint animation sound of an old typewriter but very very loud. The screen freezed and the image just started to broke.

It's an intel core 2 duo macbook with mac os 10.5 Leopard.

Please help me!!

Edited by pittNash (12/27/07 04:19 AM)

pittNash

Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Mexico
      #29290 - 12/27/07 04:22 AM

Hi,

I bought a MacBook 2 weeks ago and unfortunately some troubles have come up. To start with, for no reason it suddenly shutdown completeley after two hours of use. It wasn't that hot, I mean, compared to other notebooks I've had. So I pay little attention to it. But yesterday while I was trying to upload an image to an email on my hotmail account, it started making a very annoying noise. It sounded like that PowerPoint animation sound of an old typewriter but very very loud. The screen freezed and the image just started to broke.

It's an intel core 2 duo macbook with mac os 10.5 Leopard.

Please help me!!

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: djckay]
      #29291 - 12/27/07 05:19 AM

Quote:

Hey, I'm having problem logging into my main profile after I switch on my MacBook. I know my password but after I type it and click enter, it just loads up the profile (after a few minutes) then reverts back to the start up screen. At the moment I'm using my "friends" profile with no problems.

I've got all my pictures, music, etc.....but can't use them because its not letting me use my main profile?

Anybody had the same problem? Anybody know what I should do?

1. Basically I switch on my MacBook.

2. Then it loads up to the start-up profile option screen (I have two profiles, my main one that I always use, and my "friends" profile.

3. I click on my main profile and type in the password.

4. Then it takes about a minute to load up the profile.

5. Before I can do anything, the main screen turns green and I'm back to step 2!

There's no error messages and there's no programs that launch on start-up. I can't understand why its doing it.

I recently upgraded from tiger to leopard and this problem started roughly about 2 weeks later.

Try holding down the Shift key after logging in. I think this should disable login items and possibly other non-essential items. If this works, then something you are trying to load at login is causing problems.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

StephN_08

Reged: 07/02/08
      #30644 - 07/02/08 04:58 PM

I was downloading songs onto my macbook and then one CD wouldn't eject from the drive. I got a popup saying that there are two versions and only one can be ejected. I still have not been able to get the disk outand I have no idea how to. HELP!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sick Macbooks - Apple MacBook Problems and Solutions [Re: StephN_08]
      #30647 - 07/02/08 06:01 PM

Have you tried rebooting? If a plain reboot doesn't do the trick, the try rebooting while holding down the mouse key (that should open the tray). Yet another method is run Terminal (in apps/utilities) and type "drutil tray eject" in terminal (minus the quotes).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 148634

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage